• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
feb

Which Impact Wrench

feb

It's about time to start saving money and do some work on the cars myself so I am after a good impact wrench mainly for suspension components etc.

What do you guys use/recommend that doesn't break the bank?

It doesn't have to be a cordless one (unless there are cheap ones out there) as I have access to electricity supply.

Thanks.

Anthony

If you don't need it to be cordless, the Clarke CEW1000 impact gun is hard to beat for the money.

I've got one and can't really fault it - makes light work of hub nuts, crank pulley bolts and the like. It's a little bulky if I'm being critical and obviously being mains powered it's no good at all for taking to trackdays, scrapyard and such, but for the price it's brilliant.

Get it on one of Machine Marts VAT free days and it's just £57.

feb

Thanks Anthony.

Could you by any chance measure its length when you have time, it looks a bit big in the photos, just wondering whether it fits in the wheel arch to remove the bottom suspension bolts. I guess it does fit just wanted to make sure.

Anthony

Dimensions according to the user guide here (page 14) are 295 x 95 x 230

Slo

I'm using one of these atm. To be fair it works, easily takes off the tightest nuts on our cars suspension but I think I might have a faulty one as the ratchet slips and can be annoying.

I used to have one of these which was a hell of a lot better. It lasted about 3 years until the ratchet mechanism destroyed itself. This did a lot of work.

Both of these can remove wheel nuts, arb bolts, subframe bolts, dare say they could take out head bolts but I never tried that.

feb

Great, thanks a lot!

The CEW1000 looks more robust but then again you would expect due to the price I guess.

Edited by feb

aldworth33

Iv got an Ingersoll rand one for half inch, it's s*it hot! Hardly ever struggles and that's on trucks. Iv seen about every other type of gun struggle (from blue-point, clarke and snap on) where this one rattles stuff straight off

jackherer

I've had a Clarke CEW1000 for a while but it has died now, it lasted a few years and took a lot of abuse but in the end the main casting cracked.

Anthony

Bargain at that price frankly!

mowflow

I bought one of those. I had a £25 voucher to use so it cost £18 posted. Its a solid bit of kit for the price. I used it to do the bottom pulley bolt and was shocked how easily it removed it.

jackherer

I think it'll be fine. The main chassis cracked on my old one but I now think it was because the four screws holding the whole thing together had come loose without me realising. It wore the original brushes out then wore the replacements out in no time which should have been a warning sign to me that the casing was loose...

jackherer

That's more like the price of the Clarke labelled version, maybe £32 was a mistake..?

Mine turned up yesterday but it was damaged in transit so I'm waiting for another one.

Henry Yorke

I went to look for one too and saw they were £52 :(

jackherer

I just looked on ebay and there are a couple of them on there (search for ESSR01) for about £45 with free postage which is only about £4 more than the old Amazon price which didn't include shipping (£32 + £8.90.) Both ebay sellers have very similar names to the Amazon seller so I think they are probably all the same company.

Henry Yorke

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Corded-Impact-Wrench-1-2-Sockets-w-Case-230-V-450Nm-Power-Tool-Car-Wheel-Nut-/231251483768?pt=UK_Home_Power_Tools_Batteries_Buffers&hash=item35d7a99c78

What size impact sockets come with it as a crank pully is 22mm? As that is only around 130Nm of torque (IIRC) then this should have enough thruch to crack it off is used with a Laser flywheel locking tool.

Henry Yorke

Answered my own question in the advert:

Wrench nuts:

• 1 x 17 mm
  • 1 x 19 mm
  • 1 x 21 mm
  • 1 x 22 mm

rallyeash

19% vat?!

mowflow

As i already said.

I bought one. It's very good for the money. Bottom pulley undone a piece of piss. It's good for 450Nm according to the bumph that comes with it.