• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
hoodygoodwood

Piston And Liners For 1.9 8V Engine Rebuild

hoodygoodwood

I have searched the forum for ages and not got the info I am after so can anyone help.

I will be rebuilding the std engine - D6B - in my Miami blue 309 GTI .I will be keeping the standard Bosch management so the only mods will be a Magnex manifold and system and a 57i kit plus an H + H rebuilt dizzy .

As part of the build I was going to replace the liners with new items as well as the usual rings, shells gasket set etc .I have seen a few sets of liners , pistons and rings on E-bay and elsewhere and want to make sure I bid on the right ones .I know the liners are the same apart from the ribbed Mi ones .

My D6B engine has the usual piston with the offset 'bathtub' pocket - I do not want to end up with low comp items - do they look different - flat top ? If I see a piston that looks the same will it be ok - no subtle differences .

Would 1.6 pistons give too high a compression for the standard management ?

I know the 16v engines have valve cutouts in the crown .

welshpug

1.6 pistons will work fine, though you may need to use a thicker gasket, especially if the head has been skimmed, pop a mild cam in there with a dizzy rebuilt with an advance curve to suit and you'll have a cheap "fast road" engine.

hoodygoodwood

What sort of compression ratio will this give me . The 1.6 pistons have a shallow flat depression in the middle ? - not like the offset deep pocket in the 1.9 piston .

I will be sending off a dizzy to H + H soon , I had better wait until I finalise the engine spec .They are quite good value at £115 for rebuilt dizzy , new vacuum advance , new rotor arm and cap including VAT and delivery .

DamirGTI

Around 11.1 static CR with 1.6 pistons ... they have 9cc volume dish (1.9 D6B pistons have 15cc dish) and different compression height (higher) , so on TDC they climb almost flush with the liner deck surface which improves squish effect massively along with boosted compression ratio ..

But , you need to use 1.9 conrods on 1.6 pistons .. so will need some pressing job which is a bit tricky and i wouldn't recommend doing that on a DIY basis without the aid of special tools for the job ..

The easiest plug an play option is using 1.9 DFZ pistons - they're identical 1.6 pistons combine with 1.9 conrods made from factory , and thus they're straight fit so no pressing job needed with these .. if you can find a set of these ones that would be the best/easiest option .

D

Edited by DamirGTI