• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Tallguy_2

My First 1.9 Gti

Tallguy_2

As a some of you may know I'm a big fan of Peugeots, family history etc.

I enjoyed the 306 GTi 6 track car I had however I've always wanted a 1.9 GTi 205! I had a 1.6 to sell a while back but that was a shed!

So here we have it, little bit of fun and something to enjoy, it's 100% standard and original except for the previous owner deciding he would have the wheels refurbed in metallic black. I'm only the 5th owner it's spent all it's life in Hampshire and has a mass of paperwork giving a full service history.

Overall it's pretty good, few small jobs to do like get the bonnet sprayed but other than that not too much. A quick tidy round yesterday and it looked like this

I wasn't sure on the wheels

48272559-F3B8-4362-9C6A-A252DE594E29_zps

8A73A438-F734-45D0-B56A-07B5B7DCB945_zps

75E12993-02FB-4493-A4CD-0208B4F193BD_zps

47EB2E8D-2101-467D-9366-71B7F91FF8AE_zps

93B0A7C8-3EB5-4824-A293-AEA312EB41FA_zps

Tallguy_2

image_zpsfecb1969.jpg

Next I started on the wheels, they were in excellent condition and it was a shame to paint them but hey ho, hadn't done a set in a long time!

First things first, knock them all back through the grades of paper and make sure they are all lovely and smooth ready for primer.

image_zps871f1573.jpg

I always use an etch primer as it's got extra bite to it and gives a bit more of a surface to flat back.

Forgot any pics during paint and lacquer!

image_zps427a8b18.jpg

Left them for a few days and then down to 2500 grit paper, compound and glaze left me with this

image_zpsed01f15b.jpg

image_zps97c8ac57.jpg

Tallguy_2

Well Saturday arrived, an airport run to start the day at 5:45, back home at 7:45!

Got my mate who is a top peugeot boy to look through and found a few bits to do

Front brake pipes

One rear caliper seal missing, one bleed nipple snapped

Steering rack gaiters

Inner cv gaiter

Leak on the water pump pipe divide

New brake fluid

New discs and pads all round

Weeping radiator

All little jobs but ones that make a difference and are good to do for piece of mind. So that was it, my next job was get some parts ordered and delivered whilst he got going!

I already had a pair of rear calipers, discs and pads were hard to get and find someone with them in stock! Universal gaiters were on their way and I already had new drop links and track rod ends to fit.

Finding a radiator in stock was hard too, travelled 25 miles to GSF to get one only to get back and offer it up to the old one to find it was the wrong rad in the box! So after some more chasing I found another at ECP in the opposite direction!

Meanwhile all the other jobs were progressing pretty nicely!

A new headlamp and bulbs were also fitted. At the end all re-tracked and 4 wheel aligned with the new wheels fitted and ready for road test! He also sorted the air flow meter, what a different car that had made it though!! Suddenly so much quicker and responsive!

Plans of what next are sort the lacquer peel on the bonnet, got new number plates, compound and polish!

Here's a couple of pics so far:

image_zpsd920d9a9.jpg

image_zps6c054bde.jpg

Tallguy_2

Well, picked the old girl up on Friday night and got her back home ready to start on Saturday. First stop was post office to tax it...... Why does every old granny feel the need to come out on a weekend, they should be restricted to weekdays only! An hour later and my pocket was £123.75 lighter!!

First stop was off to collect a bonnet, mine has gone a bit white and hazy and cloudy in the lacquer, the one I looked at however was virtually orange which means it looks like respraying after all.

I wiped round and cleaned the throttle body the other week and cleaned out the mass air flow meter which made it run a lot better, however it now idled at 1,600 rpm with the idle screw fully in......

After playing with the AFM I could get the idle down but it ran like s*it, so the idle was now down but far to lean, played wit the mixture and base idle screws to get it down, however the car only felt good when driving if the idle was at 1,600 rpm which I wasn't happy with as in a traffic jam it would over heat. I came to the conclusion that the throttle body obviously wasn't closing far enough even though it was stopping on the microswitch, so...... Throttle body off.

C8EB92CE-5B1B-4E43-87AF-84B58C3BFA92_zps

This was so full of carbon when I split it off the inlet, so after a lot of cleaning and polishing it was looking like new and the inlet cleaned as much as possible too.

Yes the flap was hitting the microswitch stop but there was still a lot of daylight between the butterfly and barrel. So adjusted the switch up for when the butterfly hit the barrel and stopped.

Next up was refit and hope for the best, AFM back to standard, air mixture screw back to standard, idle screw four turns out, base screw set to the stop. Here was me fingers crossed turning the key after hours of messing about......... Yes!!!! 900 rpm, everyone said don't even bother but to me it wasn't right, took it out for a run and it was 100% better, however a tiny little flat at 4k revs, hopped it moved the spring 2 cogs, tried again and boom, a nice linear pull all the way through!

It felt surprisingly quick, went to look at some wiring near the ecu though and found superchips written on it so who knows!

So, this brings me up to date really, off now to actually start and give it a clean!

A99EE7BE-8A16-4BFB-B7DA-C6996A0AB28C_zps

nveeate

Looking good - much better with the silver wheels.

cybernck

Wow, a very nice example of a standard unmolested 205 GTI. But PLEASE lower the front numberplate to under the red strip, as intended.

Mac Crash

Looking much better and lot's of common sense showing regarding the AFM..... love the wheels too, makes PC look like a complete waste of money

dale205mills

I do have a soft spot for a red 205 on black wheels with red square takes me back to my old one that I had for years, I had gray carpet in mine tho.

Good to see another 205 local.

Tallguy_2

Thank you guys! Much appreciated!

Cybernck I'm trying to get another made to fit in the space

Got another decent day in on the car today, trying to get it all up together and tidy so it's easy to mantain and keep on top of.

Started on the inside, however I now think the carpets need a deep wash/clean, got the new mats in though

3B74F97A-51BB-44EC-9ABB-6747DAB99A40_zps

A mate of mine popped up for half an hour, he decided he'd have a go cleaning under the bonnet, he started then had to leave which meant I had to finish it really!

915FD41E-8C9A-4E85-BD5E-E0057F502020_zps

B996F240-1C0B-4DE6-BEFE-01972C3688EA_zps

E212C2AE-B131-4E09-83CC-87C6834363E2_zps

The rear spoiler that was on it looked like it had got a bit tarnished, grabbed an as new one last week so on that went

5BEA3A24-696B-404C-BB38-9E58783B82AB_zps

Next up was a quick going over with t-cut and swirl remover just to get it up a bit brighter

EC003BCF-DFDF-4C4C-858F-EA06110708B6_zps

Then was the job I'd been a little apprehensive about, applying this plasticare trim dye. I found it on the forums and the reviews have been good, rather than a care product/gel it is a permanent dye, to be fair I'm actually really impressed! Not all gungey, gloopy or shiney, just black!! Original looking black, a nice even finish that dried lovely. Suitably impressed so far, now let's see how it lasts!

Shame I didn't get a better picture

5A49936F-4217-45D2-A0FC-9A8C0CDBA0B5_zps

Quick drop of wax to protect it outside and it was time to get on home

6E4B49A2-6D69-451B-A5CD-23C826F785AB_zps

F8DE11BE-18EE-43B9-AAF2-6F51CB2F817B_zps

Next jobs are, get the bonnet painted, tighten up under the drivers seat, fix the speedo cable to get rid of the needle wobble!

Here's the ecu, anybody had any experience or any thoughts?

9AFA0D85-AC72-4579-97C6-B70F3BA615B5_zps

Edited by Tallguy_2
  • Like 2

ATK

I saw the ad for this when I was looking for my GTi...great work mate...where did you get the new spoiler from as I'm looking for one!

credowan

Looks like your doing a great job, the silver on the alloys really sets the red off,

Really starting to get won round by the red 205's as I've always seen the ones that have gone orange and put me off the colour but when deep red they look stunning !

Keep up the great work mate, ill be keeping an eye on this thread

Gary

mrfirepro

really nice example, keep up the good work, nice to see it on silver wheels..

Davy

Another nice fresh example, well done! Really didnt fancy those black wheels!... Silver wheels totally transform the whole car IMO.

Tallguy_2

Thanks, guys, standard ecu now back in and running so much better, just want to do a cambelt on it for reassurance and check the timing next