• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Telf

1.6 Threaded Block:(

Telf

hi all

I'm wondering if anybody has ever managed to re-thread a block after threading the bolt hole whilst fitting new head bolts?

I've spoken to an engineering firm that say they can repair it by putting a insert into the block- does anybody have any experience with this kind of problem? I'm concerned that it might not really be viable!

They have quoted £50 to do the repair in situ.

Any advice or thought would be great thanks

Paul

Anthony

There's been a thread on this in the last few days if you do a search. Can't remember who started it, but I know that Tom Fenton posted in it.

The long and short was that yes it can be fixed quite reliably as long as its done correctly.

Edit: This is the thread I was thinking of - http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=156843

Edited by Anthony

Telf

Tom posted it! I work with Tom so that's abit of a coincidence!

thanks anthony

Telf

The reason I ask is because a guy is selling a J reg 1.6 2 miles from me- hes tried to change the head gasket and messed it up- so I think the car needs saving! Its on sale for £350 which I thought was quite reasonable.

So far it seems like £50 for the block and some oil as the kit and new bolts are all ready to go, he is wanting rid of the car and I can see it being scrapped!

Cant find the last thread on it though Grr!!

Anthony

See my edited post above with the link :)

Telf

thanks Anthony,

Im off to look at the car over the weekend, I will post back when I know if its worth it!