• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
roccorich

Throttle Position Switch Plug

roccorich

I think I may have found the cause of my crap idle.

One of the pins in the throttle position switch plug is knackered.

If I slacken off the TPS and adjust so it is not registering that the throttle is closed it makes no difference to the idle.

I assume it should make a noticeable difference as it clicks on and off as it should be telling the ecu to cut the fuel right down.

So does anyone know where you can buy a replacement plug from and how easy it will be to replace or does anyone have one on a spare loom I can solder in.

Cheers

Rich

Ryan

The plugs are called Junior Timer plugs (or Junior Power Timer for a variant with a quick-release clip). You can buy them from places like ebay or Vehicle Wiring Products. You can also replace just the terminals and reuse the existing plastic housing.

roccorich

Cheers

Do I need any special tools?

Ryan

Crimping pliers are handy to put the new terminals on the cables, but you can do it with normal pliers if you're careful, and then solder over the top for extra strength.

To get the terminals out of the plastic all you need is a small screwdriver. The green lines are where the terminals will be, then you put the screwdriver in the slots underneath (red arrow) and twist/wiggle while pulling on the cable. Eventually you'll release the little tab holding the terminal in place. It's a lot easier to do that it is to describe. The new terminals just push in.

post-5273-0-54448200-1393454293.png

roccorich

I ordered some ratchet crimping pliers the other day but I think they are only for insulated connectors...

Thst doesnt sound too difficult. I'll buy some spares for when it inevitably goes wrong and I end up getting one of my leccy mates to do it.

Cheers

Rich

roccorich

Ive ordered ten pins so thats plenty of room for error.

Took the plug off and tried bridging the contacts but could not notice any difference in the way it was idling at all, which is weird.

The centre pin is definitely getting 12v.