• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Gman

Inspecting Quaife Atb

Gman

Just wondering if anyone on here has done this?

I've just bought a used one from someone who munched their gearbox, including breaking a couple of small bits off the crown wheel. I am therefore keen to make sure no bits have worked themselves into the diff's internals before fitting into my box.

I don't have the experience to do this. However, my next door neighbour works for the Williams F1 gearbox team, and he is keen to strip it all down to see how it works. Before I let him loose, I just wanted to make sure that there is nothing spring loaded or anything which may made re-assembly particularly difficult?

Cheers

welshpug

I've not found anything but a general dimensions type pdf, best bet given they do have a lifetime warranty offered is to contact Quaife.

Gman

I doubt they would honour the warranty if damage was caused by external factors such as gearbox failure. Worth a try though...

GilesW

You can send it back to Quaife for them to check.

IIRC they are pretty reasonably priced for that sort of thing.

Gman

I think I've seen quotes of 30 quid mentioned on the internet which isn't too bad, although postage would be expensive.

My neighbour is more than qualified to look at it but I just wanted to see if anyone else had inspected one.

Anthony

Have a look at this thread Graham.

That's a Saab Quaife but I'm sure is going to be basically the same internal design as a Peugeot one. Doesn't look to be too difficult to strip down and inspect, although the damage to the one in that thread from a gearbox failure doesn't bode well...

DiffExplosion.jpg

That's an exploded diagram of a Quaife

Edited by Anthony

Gman

Thanks Anthony. Agree it doesn't look too much of a hassle to strip. Will give it a go and fingers crossed there is no damage.

jackherer

My mates Quaife survived when his fifth gear disintegrated, it's been fine for a while in the new gearbox.

Gman

You've actually got to be fairly unlucky if any debris manages to find its way into the small holes in the casing. But you never know....

dobboy

I've not found anything but a general dimensions type pdf, best bet given they do have a lifetime warranty offered is to contact Quaife.

The lifetime warranty is only valid for the original purchaser, but they will check it no probs.

Gman

Quick update - stripped the quaife to find all was ok. Very easy to see where everything goes once you open it all up. Just be sure to take note of the order of the central washers as they are concave and convex in shape to allow flex under compression.