• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
scottbarton

Is My Water Pump Borked?

scottbarton

Popped to the shops, literally 10 mins down the road, got there and coolant temp is off the scale??? Noticed there was no rad fans running, and when i felt the radiator it was stone cold (explains reason why fans not running). All hoses, expansion tank etc red hot.

Let it cool down and got her back home to the same symptoms.

Could this be the water pump failed?

jackherer

I'd check the thermostat first. If the water pump is working you should see some flow into the expansion tank, especially if you give it some revs.

scottbarton

I had the thermostat changed recently. Will have a look. cheers.

jackherer

You can test them by putting them in a pan of water with a thermometer and heating them to check they open at the right temperature.

scottbarton

Did I read somewhere that there is two different temp ranges for the 205? Am I also correct in thinking you don't have to completely drain the system in order to take the stat out?

jackherer

They're a pretty standardised part like spark plugs etc so you can get a few different thermostat temperatures but I think all 205 GTIs originally came with 89 degree 'stats.

The thermostat is fairly high up in the system so you can get away with only draining some of the coolant.

scottbarton

Thanks for all the help everyone. It was indeed the thermostat sticking.

I also changed the radiator with a new Nissens one i had in the garage complete with new fan switch as my rad had a small leak as well!

Job jobbed....back on the road!