• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
James Cornell

Oil Breather Alternative?

James Cornell

I do the worst kind of miles in my 1.9 8V, I do 3-4 days going two miles each way and one day a week I do about a 30 mile round trip and as you can imagine I suffer from the Hellmanns oil filler cap syndrome quite often. I take the cap and pipes off, clean out the gunk and clean the throttle body breather with carb cleaner and the engine is much happier to rev and pull from low revs, this is a pain but I accept it is a caveat of having such a cool car.

The only thing that concerns me is that when it builds up it is going down the breather into the throttle body and this can't be good news. I was wondering if anyone had tried blocking off the throttle body side (with a wood screw or something) and putting a little filter on the end of the throttle body breather, to ensure there is no dirt getting into the air but the breather is only getting air and not mayo!

welshpug

The only alternative is to walk :P

I cant think of any specfic method that will alleviate the problem, other than possibly the xu5/7jp and xu10j2 filler system which is incorporated into the camshaft cover, meaning most of the breathing is done through smaller bore hoses.

Thats just thinking out aloud btw, with the observation that i dont recall mayo under a non remote oil filler, unless the hg had gone.

Tom Fenton

What is the condition of your main fill pipe? If original very often they are soft pappy and collapsed, meaning that you don't get very much airflow. This exacerbates the tendency to manufacture hellmans finest in your filler pot. Make sure all the breather hoses are not flat and can actually pass air along them will certainly help.

nick205

Leave 20 mins earlier and take a longer route to work. You'll enjoy the drive and the car will feel better for it. Simples! :-)

James Cornell

I have replaced all of the hoses with BBM ones so they are brand new, maybe the walk would benefit me but I prefer nick205's suggestion :-)

Also my cap has not gauze, will this exacerbate the issue?

jackherer

IIRC 205 GTIs sold in cold climates had a heater element in the breather hose to stop condensation forming and turning into mayo. I don't know much about it but I think it is p/n 1621 65 on Servicebox, NFP now but shows what I am talking about.

farmer

I bet somebody in Denmark would have the above Jack mentioned.

I bet it was expensive

Daviewonder

That looks like the oil filler/breather is connected to a cotton reel mount. Well I never knew that!

welshpug

Yeah, they arent meant to be free floating :lol:

James Cornell

Are you sure??? I thought Peugeot went around snapping off the mounting brackets in the factory to make sure the can move around in the engine bay...

Daviewonder

Yeah, they arent meant to be free floating :lol:

I've had free floating and I've had them bolted directly to the inlet, but never as Peugeot intended. Coincidentally I bought 2 cotton reel mounts in the week as you never know when you might need one. Looks like I have a use for them already :)