• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
driversdomainuk

Is My Fan Staying On Too Long?

driversdomainuk

Hi

When I was back in UK in December I took my 205 for a quick drive - not trashing it, but pushing at times. When I returned home it sat for about 8 minutes in the garage with the fan on before switching itself off...

Surely this should not happen? I would expect it on a hot summer day, but not after a drive in middle of December?

Any ideas what could be up?

Thanks

Rob

Ryan

A couple of minutes is pretty normal I think, but eight sounds high. What temperature thermostat and fan switch are you using?

driversdomainuk

A couple of minutes is pretty normal I think, but eight sounds high. What temperature thermostat and fan switch are you using?

As far as I know it is all standard.....

welshpug

sounds fine to me, especially if you stick it in a garage.

• Like 1

shawsburypug

My 1.6 does the same, when i just run to the shop or allow it to idle for a bit. I don't think there is much to worry about.

But when i have finish a rally some times it can be 30 minutes before the fans go off.

Edp

Sounds about right to me. Its when it fails to switch off you should be worried!

Daviewonder

That's normal mate. I've lost count of the times people arrive at work and come and find me to tell me my fan is stuck on.

iPlod999

My fan always turns off with the ignition.

It has never stayed on.

Should it?

Edp

My fan always turns off with the ignition.

It has never stayed on.

Should it?

It shouldn't go off with the ignition.

It sounds as though the switched and live feeds are mixed up? has the thermoswitch in the radiator been played around with?

jackherer

Does yours have aircon? IIRC the aircon dual fan setup with relays is ignition switched unlike the normal setup.

welshpug

Yup, as are the td setups, thats the red two pin plug unused on most 205's by the lh headlamp iirc.

iPlod999

Hi Ed.

Had new rad fitted this month. Although, it never stayed on with the old one. I imagine the garage just put it back together how it came off.

Hi Kieran.

Car originally had aircon, still twin fan, but most if not all has been removed.

Another job to put on the to do list.

jackherer

If it has the twin fans there is nothing to worry about, that is how it should behave.

TBH I don't think the fan does much without the engine running anyway, if the waterpump isn't moving any of the coolant all the fan can do is cool the rad until the thermoswitch turns it off.

• Like 1