• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
lightflow

Vacuum Sunroof Handle Removal - Help....

lightflow

I have decided to swap my sunroof vacuum release handle to a black one. I have just gone to make the swap and got stuck. Everything dismantled ok until I got to the self tapping screws which hold the handle into the ceiling/sunroof surround. The larger captive nuts are fine, they removed ok. The self tapping screws however are turning, but not unscrewing. I think someone has bodged some sealant above them at some time perhaps....

My question is are the self tapping screws captive from the outside by some sort of clip? Do I need to remove the front sunroof trim from the exterior to get to where the screws come through, or can I just prise/pull the screws down?

I don't really want to embark on removing sunroof trim from the outside at the moment if I don't have to- and don't want to break any trim...

Any suggestions gratefully received, Cheers!

lightflow

Reading around a bit more it looks like the front sunroof trim is actually held in place by the two self tapping screws which pass through the vacuum release handle. Is that the case? If so, that is the only way to remove the handle and the front external trim. Those screws have to come out be removing them in the cabin of the car..

mowflow

Fancy taking some pics? I need to remove mine at some point. Sorry, I can't help.

lightflow

Yes Paul - will do - I'll post some here when I get a chance next weekend. I haven't attacked them too hard yet...

From blurry shots on the internet it looks like the front trim on the top of car roof has some captive nuts or clips which the screws go into. I suspect on mine the trim has been bodged with some hard setting sealant and when I turn the screws they are actually turning the captive nuts/clips and therefore not unscrewing down.

lightflow

Paul, I didn't get around to taking a photo of the screws I am having trouble with, but found a great shot on the forum that someone else had already taken.

I've circled the screws that won't come out.... they just keep turning and I didn't want to have to remove the headlining or damage anything. It's all in good nick up around there on mine and don't want to do any damage - especially to the headlining!

post-24134-0-24975100-1393538616_thumb.jpg

brian j

Sorry to hijack, but does anyone know the part no. For the circled screws please? The bodyshop lost mine during the respray last year and I haven't been able to find replacements...

Clarky3rdNut

Recently had this apart myself.

The self tappers hold the front section of the external sunroof trim in place.

They should be screwed into these captive clips. I only have a photo of my destroyed trim but you get the idea.

F63C9639-5FA1-4F7A-9B11-A76F9A94D292.jpg

If the screws are just turning then I'd imagine the clips have come loose or it's been botched in the past. Apparently a lot of people don't realise the screws are there when they remove the trim and after a good tug, the clips break off.