• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
brian j

Xsara Vts Rack, Tyre Fouling Gearbox End Casing.

brian j

With the original rack the tyres never rubbed at all.

• I'm running Michelin Pilot PE2 in a 195/50/15
  • I Fitted the Xsara rack (Ph2)
  • With new 205 track rod ends (Compared for length and they were right)
  • My tracking is set to parallel by the local tyre place. (It was massively toed in before, even though the TRE's were the same number of turns in as they came out, if that makes sense)

Now it is fouling quite badly on the gearbox end casing. (Not the other way though)

I need an MOT tomorrow, so I am a bit at a loss to know what to do?

Any ideas would be very welcome!

Thanks

Brian

welshpug

Check the gearbox, mounting, you mighf be able to shift it across, however i doubt the tester will pick it up, it happens with 205 racks too, the xsara rack has no more travel, its the wider tyre that is the main factor.

brian j

Thanks WP. I hope the tester doesn't spot it.

Just odd, given that the engine/gearbox hasn't moved, and the wheel/tyre combo is the same and the tracking has gone from 1deg toe in to parallel.

It doesn't just graze the gearbox, it hits it pretty solidly.

Anthony

Are you sure that the rack is central, ie exactly the same amount of turns left and right of center?

You'll get this issue if the rack wasn't centered prior to the tracking being done as you'll have more lock one way than the other, and the NSF wheel gets very close to the end of the gearbox with 195 width tyres even when it is correct.

No problems on my Phase 1 Xsara rack equipped 205 for what it's worth :)

Tom Fenton

Rack not central. Check turns from central to left lock/right lock.

welshpug

Good shout actually, tracking numpty may have just twirled the one rod to line it up, check both rod ends are still the same length, if not adjust both of them equally until they are.

brian j

And we have an answer.

Just over 380deg from straight ahead to the left, about 410 deg from straight ahead to the right. And he didn't release the clip on the end of the steering gaiter and twisted it up! (Considering, when it arrived with him the TREs were screwed in exactly the same number of turns too - specifically to avoid this!

Guess where i'm off to?

:D

Thanks