• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ginger205

Starter Motor Bolts?

ginger205

Ok so the Haynes says "simply remove the bolts" which translates to "hahahaha sucker were not going to help you at all"

My starter motor is held on with 3 Alan bolts, given I don't own a key big enough anyone any idea what size it is so I can pick one up?

Also, I need to remove the exhaust from the manifold, is easiest way a grinder and replace the fixing bolts?

Edited by ginger205

Tom Fenton

You need an 8mm Allen key.

For the exhaust down pipe try to undo them first. I have never tried but I think you will struggle to get a grinder in there.

James Cornell

I can speak from experience that the manifold to down pipe bolts can be it away but it is a real sod of a job because of the lack of access. Just be conscious that your fuel pipes and heater matrix pipes are very close to where you will be cutting (if they are seized on)

Edp

For the starter motor bolts you need a set of these...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-8-Drive-9-Hex-Allen-Key-Socket-Bit-Set-3-4-5-5-5-6-8-10mm-PH-No-2-Flat-6mm-/300811122198?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item4609bd7616

As for the down pipe bolts as said access is tough unless you have a multi-cutter or dremel type tool. A little tip, once you have the down pipe bolts off weld a bolt onto the top of them so you don't need to rely on an assistant to hold a spanner for you in future. It means you can just wind the nut on from below and the welded bolt will hold it in place.

ginger205

A little tip, once you have the down pipe bolts off weld a bolt onto the top of them so you don't need to rely on an assistant to hold a spanner for you in future. It means you can just wind the nut on from below and the welded bolt will hold it in place.

Now that is a blinding idea!

I was planning on using a dremel, thankfully I've got one of the flexi leads too so access wont be a problem.