• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ginger205

Engine Flush, Stuff Of Magic Or Bringer Of Doom?

ginger205

So, my engine hasn't been turned in 4 years, going to be taking it out this weekend to make room for a bit of bodywork and replacing the loom, is it wise to flush the engine with say Wynns engine flush to get rid of what will be very nasty oil or do I just bung in a load of cheap oil let it run through over a week then turn the crank?

I'm in no rush to get the engine working so I don't need a quick fix but what's other folks experience with this?

Stu

Anthony

I'm not personally a great fan of engine flush.

If the engine was otherwise fine and had been vaguely regularly serviced prior to being parked up, then I would just drain the old oil out and refill with some cheap oil to run for a few miles and then drain out, refilling with fresh good quality oil and a new filter.

It's running the engine week in, week out on years old oil that causes the problems and sludges everything up. Just sitting with old oil in the sump on a cold engine won't do any terrible harm in the medium term, IMO at least.

Batfink

just change the oil. You could always buy some cheap stuff to flush the system through then do another oil change in a few hundred miles. Will probably be more beneficial.

ginger205

Cheers guys, backs up my thoughts nicely

allye

Depends on brand. There are some very good ones out there that I have happily used, cheaper than 4-5lt of even cheapy oil too.

amusingadam

The last flush I used was holts a few years back on my 205 worked fine no problems at all.

unariciflocos

Nobody can clearly assess what damage engine flush can do, however after seeing that it breaks oil up like water I am definitely never putting that stuff in an engine ever again.

theo-mi16-gr

If it didnt break the oil, then it wouldn't do the job it is supposed to..this is why you run only at idle the warm engine for 10-15mins

petert

I used Nulon oil flush on an XU10J4R that had been sitting around for a long time. It was like treacle inside. It worked really well, ie 10 mins idling with cheapish new oil. Then dumped that and put good stuff in. Clean as a whistle now.

unariciflocos

The oil servers a very important role, which is to lubricate, if you break it down then I don't know what damage or wear it will cause to the engine even at idle.

I for one won't use the stuff, engine oil has detergent in it anyway.

ginger205

Think the main issue is the engine now out of the car so I can't run it so I'll stick with flushing it out with cheep oil

Cheers all

welshpug

if you can't run it then the best you can do is strip it apart and rebuild it, pouring oil in wont do anything if you can't run it.

petert

Eh? If the engine is out of the car, take the sump off and clean it out. If that's too hard, put the engine in the car with cheap oil, give it a run for an hour or so, then add the Nulon stuff for 10 mins and drain.

theo-mi16-gr

Unariciflocos: as top oil companies like liqui molly have such flush products,i want to believe it isn't just in the name of profit..

theo-mi16-gr

+1 welshpug,peterT.

welshpug

Unariciflocos: as top oil companies like liqui molly have such flush products,i want to believe it isn't just in the name of profit..

:lol:

yeah, ok....

theo-mi16-gr

no?? then i am afraid nobody can test if they harm engine within few minutes at idle:D

Edited by theo-mi16-gr