• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
James Cornell

Afm Test

James Cornell

I think this could be contributing to my poor running, I have cleaned my AFM with contact cleaner and run a resistance test and the results are not what I would expect. The first reading is between the flap signal and 5v pin (should be 350-450) and the second reading is flap signal to earth and I would expect it to gradually rise as the wiper moves but it does not.

Please see video

James Cornell

Well of that fixes my lumpy ignition I will be a very happy man :-)

welshpug

it wont fix the ignition, might sort the injection though ;)

MikeC

Did you attempt to re-track it?

DamirGTI

This kind of AFM testing isn't accurate ..

For testing the actual potentiometer you need to force the voltage into it first , either plug it back on the car and backprobe the connector with ignition ON or buy an 9V battery and connect it on the AFM as described in this article (read down below) :

http://www.the944.com/afm.htm

... also , for proper testing try to find analogue multimeter .. digital multimeter reads too fast so it's much harder to pinpoint "flat spot" as the voltage increases/decreases while moving the wiper arm , analogue multimeter is much better for this .

D

Edited by DamirGTI

James Cornell

Well it is good news, of sorts. After cleaning the unit several times with contact cleaner and resealing the unit with some tiger seal I took it out for a drive and blow me I could pull away below 2000rpm!

It is still choppy but it is at least 50% better than it was. It also seemed to pull harder above 2000rpm which caught me by surprise (it's a bit wet out tonight) so I am fairly confident that it is causing (at least most) of my poor fuelling issues.

I think the next step is to try a known working unit and see if I have any joy

Edited by James Cornell