• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Gar

Block Heater

Guest Gar

O.K. I have been wasting time on the internet.

I found a website that sells block heaters for cars (http://www.kenlowe.com/pre-heaters/cars/index.html) You cut the coolant hose between the thermostat housing and fan matrix and connect the ends up to this gizmo.

You have to plug it into the mains the night before a cold start and set a timer so it pre-heats the engine before using the car first thing on a cold morning.

They claim it can save huge amounts of fuel, as the car is at/near it's operating temperature when you start it!

What do you think?

Rob_the_Sparky

Will certainly increase the engine life and reduce fuel consumption. How significant the fuel thing is I don't know but would be ideal if you only run the car short distances as it would allow the car to get warm then.

Not so certain the location is correct though as on a cold engine the thermostat will be closed so no water will flow round the block. I'd have thought that it would go into one of the heater hoses as these are not cut off from the block by the thermostat.

Rob

Guest Gar

I might get one then, depending on price. Anything over £100 and I won't be bothering.

I got the impression that the water would circulate around the block side of the coolant circuit, behind the closed thermostat, as there wouldn't be much point in heating the rad side of the circuit.

fiji bob

well if it heated the engine close to or near opertaing temp the sad would be closed and the ecu wouldnt add any fuel for cold enrichment so youd be getting near summer levels of fuel consumption which for me is about 20 miles extra to £20 maybe more

Rob_the_Sparky

If you get one let us know how you get on. If spending a lot of money tuning an engine this is probably of interest.

Rob

P.S. I'd hope it heats the block side of the water system...

Guest Gar

I phoned them up today, and I got a quote for.................................................................£239.01!

Bugger that. I will probably get one next winter as I won't be getting one now at that price!

Rob_the_Sparky

Seems a touch expensive for a heater and a pump...

Pugnut

isn't this what they use in scandanavian countries with thier -50 deg c cold starts?

when your engine oil is like syrup.

Guest Gar

To be honest, it's not the temperature itself is the problem, it's where I live, at the bottom of two humungous hills which require big rev's first thing after a cold start, then after that it's 60mph, which can't be too good within about 3minuites of a cold start!

Snowman
isn't this what they use in scandanavian countries with thier -50 deg c cold starts?

when your engine oil is like syrup.

yeah- these are almost standard in Scandinavia.

I've worked in Sweden where they have meters that you can plug your car into. Looked very odd until I realised the purpose!

Try looking at a Scandinavian site for the prices... might be better value.

Chris

Guest Dave

My sister used to have a volvo 360 which was imported from sweden.

Anyway, It had a 3-pin plug under the front valance and a mains lead so you could plug it into the house mains or one of these points outside.

Anyway, it had a heater element in the coolant and a wee pump to circulate the water. It also had an element in the sump to keep the oil warm and the best bit was a wee electric heater in the cabin to keep it warm and stop the windows icing up.

It was great, the car would start no problem without the usual cold-start cranking. It was already at a good temperature so ran perfectly no matter how cold it was.

Fantastic idea, which wouldnt be too hard to DIY. Sadly I have to park my car quite a distance from the house so a mains lead isnt practical.

Edited by Dave

Sign in to follow this