• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
johnhenry

Remanufactured Exterior Trim, Any Interest?

Leon

I have some aftermarket red trim. It's far more flexible than the original material and you can bend it about a bit. I think it's designed to go in the bumpers but it would fit the rest of the bodykit if you flattened it out. It appears to be aluminium with a clear plasticised coating. The red colour is sandwiched between the plastic and the metal but I can't tell if it's paint or some other form of coating.

Here is a short section I cut off fitted to a normal trim clip.

I don't remember where I got this stuff but something in the back of my mind tells me it's Dutch, or maybe Danish??

The colour is more Diablo red than the original trim but if you did a whole car in it then it would look fine.

Anyone come across this stuff or know where to get more?

gaz832

i work in a sheet metal company and actually asked my boss today if i could have some red trims made. he asked me what they where made of and the thickness. we have all the folding machines and punches to cut them out . we also have a laser cutter which cuts through 10mm thick material. taking my red side trims in tomorrow to have a planer do me some samples. these will be powder coated aswell. can be any colour as we have a powder coating booth with all the ral colours . will get some done in aliminum and maybe some stainless ones. will let u know how it goes and get some pics up.

Roon

Sounds good to me gaz is be interested as in sure many many others will be depending on the outcome.

farmer

Good effort

One thing I will say though, is most parts are going NLA so stock up now to avoid problems like this.

gaz832

good thing is as all of us have some origional parts we can use to get templates off. not sure about the bumper trims as would need some kind of roller to bend them so they wouldnt kink. like the origionals when they come off.

mechanicalrepairs

Would be interested in a rear bumper red insert, can't find one anywhere.

Carl

TaffyTim

any joy on this chaps?

gruffa

I've just stripped these off my Pug, looks like they're red plastic with a sponge/foam behind and were just stuck onto the trim, wouldn't this be cheaper and easier to manufacture??

post-20048-0-62208100-1399629722_thumb.jpg

post-20048-0-19239900-1399629730_thumb.jpg

Edp

I've just stripped these off my Pug, looks like they're red plastic with a sponge/foam behind and were just stuck onto the trim, wouldn't this be cheaper and easier to manufacture??

I had a set of this once. I bought a kit to put on an xs to make it look like a GTi. They sent a strip of this which basically just sticks into position. Only problem with using this on standard cars is it will stick out too far. I'm assuming the trim on your car had been bonded or screwed in place? The standard clips would make this stick out and look odd.