• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
309jazzpanda

Time For A New Ma But Which One

309jazzpanda

Ok so the diff is whining its bum off and some lovely grinding noises for a few months now so I am going to treat the old girl to a new box, its currently running a tu5 8v but will be going back to a tu3 with xsi head. Now what box should I

get, with it currently running a 1600 saxo box it has nice acceleration and good cruising revs, but what I want to know is whether there is a better choice I'm missing out on. I.e is the diesel stronger/better ratio'd? Is there a huge difference between a vtr box and a s2 rallye etc. Thoughts please thank you

Edited by 309jazzpanda

welshpug

Only thing that is stronger on the sport boxes is the slightly bigger planet gears in the difff.

Sport ratios are all the same, just differing fd's.

Theres a topic on the rallye register with most if the ma gear ratios and final drives, and some rpm/mph figures.

309jazzpanda

Don't think I'm on that forum yet lol, at a guess the Citroen box has the higher final drive then so the 106 1400 box is pretty much the same as a 1600 box?

welshpug

No, vtr isnt a sport gearset.

309jazzpanda

Oh, what has the sport gear set,rallye and gti?

RossD

You sure it's the sport gearsets with the thicker diff pins\gears Welshpug? I seem to remember looking into this a few years ago and it only seemed to be the ones fitted to 1.6 models which had them, the 1.4 and 1.3 'sport' clusters made do with the (14mm??) diffs. The 1.6 VTR box I got hold of certainly had the thicker pins in the diff.

welshpug

Yeah thats the oddity in the 106 / saxo boxes, larger vehicles got the bigger diff too.

309jazzpanda

So looking at that rallye register it seems the 1360 box is the same as a vtr just shorter 1st and 2nd

welshpug

depends which 1360 you mean.

309jazzpanda

ah, on that other forum it just states "typical 1360" but has no specific vehicle, any ideas? got to go scrapyard hunting saturday