• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
John971

'89 205Gti 1.6 65,000 Miles

John971

I own a 1989 G-plate 205GTI 1.6 in white, which is unmodified in any way. When I bought it at the end of 1991, there was approximately 22,000 miles on the clock (which appeared genuine and was corroborated by the service history). It now has about 65,000 miles on the clock. I've had no major accidents (bashed the tail light and cracked the bumper, both incidents at slow speed - both replaced). The bodywork is in good condition with about 5 minor dings. Internally, it's in good condition also, the only real problem being yellow foam dropping out the bottom of the driver's seat and the digital clock sporadically resetting. The central locking no longer works and the starter motor is also a little balky.

The biggest issue though is the fact that the vehicle hasn't been driven since the end of 2000. It has been garaged since then, and was started regularly up until 2006. Since 2006, the engine hasn't even been turned over, or the car moved.

I'm about to move house, and wont have space for the car, and therefore am looking to sell it. One of my friends has a friend who refurbishes old Peugeots. Could anyone here suggest a reasonable price I should ask for this vehicle considering it's condition?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Slo

No one can say without pictures. There will probably be considerable perished rubber all over it and rust that is hidden from view.

John971

As I said, the bodywork is good, with almost pristine paintwork, only a few minor dings and little visual evidence of rust. The interior is fine too, other than wear on the driver's seat.

The 65,000 miles is also genuine.

Could you give me some idea of the range of prices I could expect?

Edited by John971

Slo

£500 seems to be a ball park figure for reasonable condition cars with no tax or mot but for cars that have been languishing for a decade in a shed I expect it will be a lot less

allye

Some where between £800-£1500 depending on pictures and actual condition. IMO

All the tyres, brakes and fluids will all be dead along with other things but then that is a good millage and, what 2 owner? Car. Buyers love that kind of stuff.

Edited by allye

John971

Just 2 owners.

When I bought it in December 1991 from a Peugeot dealer, there was just one former owner and 22k on the clock. The car was driven daily from then until mid 1993, then garaged until mid 1995 (though the engine was turned over regularly). It was then driven daily from about mid 1995 until the end of 2000, and then garaged since.

Most of the driving I did in the car was dual carriageway at steady speed, on 30 mile runs.

Edited by John971

allye

So when it all up and running it would benifit from a damn good seeing to!?

eddie bullit

You would be better off getting her up and running yourself and then selling. Punters will pay a few £k in vgood condition with low owners and mileage. Otherwise it will be 100s not 1000s I reckon.

Good luck

nveeate

Sounds like it will be a nice car when restored/refurbished. The 1.6 is less desirable than the 1.9, as you probably know, but there is still good interest in the 1.6. Your best price would be with the car at least running - and idealy MOT'd, but I appreciate you may not have time for this.

As others have said, it's hard to say what the garage you refer to would give you, but I expect your reason for posting on here is to see if you can get some other interest - if you dont get the buyer you're looking for, another option would be to take lots of photos and put it on eBay....you should get a decent amount of bidding if you start it low.

Edited by nveeate

Alastairh

I would say 7-800.

Its a 1.6 and phase 1.5, so not the most desireable, hence it will never be worth 10 grand that people ask these days.

It would be a risky purchase as the engine could be seized and a minimum would need a major service, all fluids, brake pipes, hoses, tyres, exhaust, beam inspection etc. These thing add up.

Al

John971

Thanks everyone for the replies!

I rolled the car out the garage today to take a few pictures.

Can anyone tell me how I'm supposed to post them in this thread? I can't seem to figure it out, as the normal image embed function doesn't seem to be present in this forum!

Tom Fenton

You need to host the images elsewhere on the net, then post web links to your images. Photobucket is one such website you can use to do this for free, and is the one I use.

John971

When I checked the mileage, it was actually 66,800 (see photo below). When I bought the car, it was 17,800 (from the logbook - all my MOT certs present and receipts from maintenance).

This was the first time I'd seen the car in daylight or sat inside for many years, and I was surprised by how good condition it was in.

The battery was dead, so I didn't try and start her up.

P1010058_zpsa317d50c.jpg

P1010062_zps3854d146.jpg

P1010054_zps1f183cc4.jpg

P1010055_zps50de16d2.jpg

dcc

don't try start it. likely the cambelt has gone solid and the rubber will be perished = dead engine in seconds.

jord294

Looks great!

John971

Sorry the pics are a little overexposed, taken by my brother-in-law!

As I said, there are about 5 minor dings/ripples in the bodywork, that could easily be sorted out by someone in the know.

It took three of us to move the car, and after a little back and forth, the wheels are now all turning.

John971

P1010052_zpsd7e8e66f.jpg

P1010057_zpsed0ea21a.jpg

nveeate

Erm, this is really a classifieds thread!

• Like 1

John971

Perfect for someone who wants a low mileage pug to do up!

Offers starting at £800

Edited by John971

Leon

If you accept £500 for that you're mental. I'd be thinking more along the lines of three times that.

credowan

Pm,d look forward to hearing from you

Gary

Edited by credowan
  • Like 1

stufarri

This is a steal at £800 or so. A good buy for someone.

mowflow

Seriously! You lot are either a bit out of touch or having a laugh. 2 owners, low miles, clearly been stored in a garage cleaner and dryer than most of our homes. Even without an MOT that car is worth a good bit.

dcc

Not really. Engine likely to need complete rebuild. New wheel bearings, brakes, dry electrical joints, suspension refresh... all in all its likely to need more money spending on it than a high mileage example... but i guess you knew that as you jumped to the assumption in your reply.

I think the start price of the bidding fest was actually very sensible.

Its a truely lovely car, but not one for a mechanical novice in my opinion!