• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
scottbarton

Backbox...to Devil Or Not To Devil....?

scottbarton

A while ago I bought a brand new 'Devil' backbox (the same as this pic I borrowed off the net), but now I can't make up my mind whether to actually fit it or not. I know there is the viewpoint that OEM is best, and i would agree...but i am also thinking of the aesthetics point of view, and a nice shiny tailpipe is ticking that box. :P I dont want to lose power however.

I have a stainless steel bespoke manifold back system, with the proper split at the manifold end, that it would be mated to. It is considerably bigger than the stock, with a circa 3½" tailpipe.

Does anyone else have a Devil backbox like this one with any experience positive or negative? I have looked on the net and they seem pretty scarce.

fou_des_106_tuning_1111171621_p3180001_z

scottbarton

Took some pics of the stainless exhaust tonight together with the back box.

IMG_0033_zpsb64e446d.jpg

IMG_0036_zpsa1497165.jpg

IMG_0031_zps6ec547b3.jpg​

AlexRS2782

Only experience I have with a Devil exhaust was a rear box I had on my Renault 5 GT Turbo circa '99-'00. Seemed well built, wasn't overly loud, and fitment was spot on.

• Like 1

scottbarton

Cheers Alex. I have gone for it....will see what its like when i pick the car back up in a couple of weeks.

Martycush

Im looking forward to the end result, see if you can post a little vid/pics..

Wouldn't mind tidying up the back of mine too, something subtle tho, not too loud

Henry Yorke

"Devil" and "subtle" were not two things that were often in the same sentence! They are pretty large but well made IIRC. I think they may stick out further than a Magnex and may have needed the valance cut a bit, but it is a while since I have seen one

scottbarton

Picking the car up on Saturday Henry so will post up some pics. You are right about the valance, it does need cutting away a bit. The exhaust came with all the paperwork/stickers etc and included was a template to nip a section of the valance away. I am hoping its not too boy racerish..... :blush:

Mac Crash

You are right about the valance, it does need cutting away a bit. The exhaust came with all the paperwork/stickers etc and included was a template to nip a section of the valance away. I am hoping its not too boy racerish..... :blush:

Can't you sell it and find something? Maniflow/Magnex etc... in my humble opinion you'll be spoiling your motor and having to cut away the rear valance is doing the very thing you wish to avoid (Boy Racerish) etc... and it will look like that, 3 1/2" bore with cut out valance, think about it, not even an F1 or Group B car has that size of exhaust, it's for noobs, seriously, it will look sh1te :mellow: just my opinion, no offence meant, lad

scottbarton

I know what you mean Colin, no offence taken. The section that has to be cut away is around an inch, so its not as if its being hacked to death. I think the exhaust was being mounted yesterday....at the end of the day, if its OTT and i hate it then it will come off and something else will be sourced....along with a new a rear valance. :P

m@ttc

I wish i had a pic of the one that was fitted to mine, its is a little large bore size, but it don't stick out much at all, and it wasn't too loud, wich is why i brought one in the first place, it was a lot better than others on the market at the time. I guess it will just come down to your preference at the end of the day.

• Like 1

MikeC

Just don't have a bird nest in it if its parked up scott :D

welshpug

it might not be as bad as some would imagine, I do recall a devil backbox being an SP option available from dealers not so long ago, on the 307 iirc.

• Like 1

Daviewonder

Don't do it! You've just spent god knows how much on new parts getting it standard, don't ruin it with a hacked up bumper and a cannon.

scottbarton

Don't do it! You've just spent god knows how much on new parts getting it standard, don't ruin it with a hacked up bumper and a cannon.

Too late... it's on...spoke to the garage tonight. They were impressed with it...we will see.....

Just the coolant hoses to do, got to source some S/S jubilee clips and its job jobbed. Picking her back up on Saturday hopefully.

scottbarton

Just don't have a bird nest in it if its parked up scott :D

:P

scottbarton

Picked her up this morning, its like driving a new car. The best thing out of all the jobs i had done.....replacing the speedometer cable and getting rid of that god damn annoying ticking sound!!! :D

Exhaust is big...well compared to the stock at least...and very shiny! Completely different exhaust note as can be expected, but not over the top. Gave her a good run this morning and like what i see/hear/feel. Will post some pics up shortly. Its probably going to be like Marmite...love it or hate it...right now i love it. Its rare, and its French!

Only slight negative, when i got to work this morning it feels like one of the rear calipers is sticking slightly, not sure if this is simple handbrake related tweak thats needed. Wheel was hot to touch compared to the other one.

So, no more exhaust gas leaks from the cracked manifold (replaced), no more water leaks from the thermostat housing (replaced) and no more corroded copper brake lines...(all replaced).

Happy Scott!

Edited by scottbarton
  • Like 1

AlexRS2782

Good news :) It's good to be able to just jump in & take it for a run knowing the niggly problems like the cracked manifold that were there before are now gone :) If anyone complains about the exhaust just say it's retro modding from the '90's :hehe: That's what I said about my OMP one ;) Although yours is probably much much quieter & wont leave you deaf every time you go for a run :hehe:

Daviewonder

If anyone complains about the exhaust just tell them the boys down maccys love it :P

scottbarton

So much for niggle free! Currently sitting in Asda car park on Old Kent Road waiting for the AA with a seized rear caliper. Got so hot smoke pouring out of the wheel arch! Great. Not!

m@ttc

lucky AA man :lol:

scottbarton

AA man could not free it. Said he needed a caliper winding tool??? Low loader being despatched to recover me and car home. :-(

Exhaust still looks nice though! Lol!

welshpug

there is no caliper winding too for these, its a large screwdriver or piece of square bar.

Edp

there is no caliper winding too for these, its a large screwdriver or piece of square bar.

Just about to say that, large screwdriver normally does the trick.

Where are the 'devil' pictures?

scottbarton

Sorry guys...since i was recovered in the early hours of Sunday morning the car has been in disgrace! lol!

Busy all day Sunday and work this week so not had the chance to sort the brake caliper out....however, i have a day off tomorrow and will attempt to free it enough to get it back to the garage that did all the work for me.

This pic of the exhaust was taken the morning i picked her up when she was still in my good books! ha ha!

IMG_0065_zps0ec2cdb6.jpg

Marmite...love it or hate it..personally I am liking it so far. I have the old back box in case i get sick of it....or birds nest in it as Mike puts it...spring is on its way after all. ;-)

scottbarton

And how i ended up Saturday night!!!

IMG_0068_zps6757fa1b.jpg