• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
randomcaller

205 Junior Diesel Xud 306 Engine

randomcaller

Hi there my name is Chris, I just bought a 205 1.8d last month for the princely sum of £480. It was spares or repairs, it had 2 months mot, no tax and needed a fuel line relating and the Speedo cable replacing. It's a j reg and had done 57k miles....not too bad!

This is my second car which I bought for using for work as my other car (Citroen c2 with 3.0 v6 engine in it) is a bit too thirsty. I repaired the 205 drove it for 5 days then ordered a 306 1.9td engine and managed to finish the conversion yesterday and drive it properly although it still needs a few things doing.

The car developed a boost leak from where the top mount goes onto the inlet manifold but it was my fault as the rubber gasket had expanded due to heat and wouldn't fit back in so I applied liberal amounts of silicone to try and seal it to no avail. I'll try to cut a section out of the gasket tomorrow and 're use it and hope that does the trick. I have also found a small fuel leak coming from the pump but still not sure where, I'm onlyhoping that when trying to get to the immobilized solenoid that I haven't cracked the pump somewhere after grinding it off.

I also managed to get hold of some gti half leather seats and a steering wheel which I fitted today and adds a nice touch. This car is intended to be as budget as possible before I start getting serious with it, I'd say all in all it only owes me about 350 pound including the engine nut unfortunately it is one of the dreaded dhy lumps :z

I'd like some advice on suspension for the front and I will probably stick to a gti drum rear beam for the rear. One other thing is that I read somewhere that I could use the 306 clutch with my 1.8d gearbox but it didn't go quite so well so I used the old flywheel and clutch with the old gearbox and it is fine. I would like to use an updated 306 clutch when I can so will I be able to put the 306 flywheel on and use a 306 box with the 205 diff and shafts? This is for when I play with the pump and boost.

Sorry about the huge essay and I will try to get some pictures in the day when I can as I'm working nights at the moment.

One more thing is I definitely have to add a frount mount but cannot find anywhere to get an adaptor for the slit shaped intake manifold; would I have to have one made up or do people sell these?

Many thanks for any help and ideas :)

Chris

randomcaller

Hopefully there is a couple of photos I had from the dark on my phone I'm new to posting pictures on here.

Chris.

Edited by randomcaller

SW205

sounds good, im tempted to do the conversion to a 1.9TD as i have a 1.8d at the minute as well ive a few questions,

how difficult was it?

you used the 1.8 gearbox with clutch and flywheel correct?

did your car have power steering?

am i right in thinking you just need a 205TD downpipe, does the 306td manifold match up ok?

what did you do about the intercooler??

would love to see some pics

randomcaller

I'll try working on the pic front after searching how to upload them properly :z yes I used the 1.8 flywheel and clutch and gearbox with the 306 engine. My car did have power steering and so has the 306 engine. I've had to remove the old 205 pump as it sits on the gearbox where as the 306 pump runs off a belt from the crank pulley. I am yet to see if 306 power steering lines will fit the 205 power steering rack because then if they are long enough I can retain my power steering easily or I will have to get some custom lines made up. At the moment I'm just running the pump with no fluid and the rack has been drained too so steering is super stiff.

I used a 306 down pipe as I knew it would fit the engine it cost me 15.33 from Euro car parts brand new and stainless, the thing it that it does touch on the gear linkages so has a habbit of knocking them off on harsh changes or going into 1st and 2nd. Fixed this temp with a cable tie but going to have a proper exhaust made up as I'm using the down pipe I bought, some spare stainless pipe I had lying around and the standard back box for the current temp set up. Intercooler standard fits under the bonnet with the fur removed from under the bonnet but obviously it gets next to nothing air to it so I want to run a front mount but can't find any adapters for the inlet manifold so might have to have one made.

Hope this helps and ill try fathom the pics out and get some this weekend

Chris

welshpug

Take the pas ram off, nice steerinh again.

Bx16v clutch will work on the 205 box and 306 flywheel.

205 turbo downpipe fits fine, same block head turbo and elbow.

Edited by welshpug

SW205

superb, im gonna gather the bits up and have to do this asap myself

randomcaller

I'll look into the clutch and hopefully get a decent updated one then. I would have gone for the 205 td down pipe but it was a lot more expensive than the other 306 one I bought so some bending will be in order. Fixed my boost leak today and found where my fuel leak is. It's coming from the right hand side of the pump down the back it's like it's behind the solid injector pipes but all are tight and I can't see exactly where. Really hoping nothing has cracked when grinding the solenoid cover off or hope a seal hasn't gone :z it's the only thing holding me back now. Maybe liberal amounts of silicone will suffice :)

SW205

Really hoping nothing has cracked when grinding the solenoid cover off or hope a seal hasn't gone :z it's the only thing holding me back now.

why where you grinding? have i missed something?

Edited by SW205

randomcaller

I had a later series engine where the Lucas pump comes with an immobilized fuel solenoid that sits under some plating on the top of the pump and the engine won't start unless you replace it with a normal solenoid which I had in my old fuel pump from the 1.8 engine

SW205

I had a later series engine where the Lucas pump comes with an immobilized fuel solenoid that sits under some plating on the top of the pump and the engine won't start unless you replace it with a normal solenoid which I had in my old fuel pump from the 1.8 engine

ahhh i understand