• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Reebmit

205 Turbo (1.9 - 8 Valve)

Tom Fenton

I'm assuming with the cage seats belts etc this is going to be a track car, depends how tall you are but with seats on the standard runners I think you will struggle for headroom once you have a helmet on.

allanallen

You'd be surprised how low base mounted seats on runners are tom, Cals are surprisingly low!

Tom Fenton

Like I say it obviously depends on how tall you are, but if I sit in a standard 205 GTI with my helmet on, the top is hard against the roof lining with me squishing my neck down. Obviously the aim is to end up with the top of the cage higher in the car than the top of your hat!!

Reebmit

Hi Tom, we met at Pugfest and had a natter about your green pug you had there, hope all is good with you. Yeah fast road/track, I am 6' 2"+ and have a kevlar pro drive in my other 205 and that uses runners which has been fine, I have not however tried helmet in this one as I've only just done runners but hopefully there won't be any issues..... famous last words if there is, not much work to change. I would like to use runners as I want my daughter to use this on track days too..

Edited by Reebmit

Reebmit

Had to go and check! Yeah all good, with helmet on around one and a half inches of space. The runners are not very tall and the seats are less in height thickness than the standard seats so all good really. I agree on standard seats it can be tight.

• Like 1

Reebmit

Loads been done since last post but haven't had a chance to update, will do when I get a chance...

Really wanted to keep this car looking more like an XS than a GTI body wise and wanted to try and minimise the amount of flared arch I could. I bought some fibreglass arches which looked a little over the top so next tried the GTI plastics, this in turn looked too much along the sideds. I had a think and decided to modify the GTI arches and remove the side plastic sections and convert them into more of just an arch and keep the sides of the car more looking more stock. I think I have achieved this and and very happy with the look :) any views??

post-21418-0-36570400-1419607572_thumb.jpg

I am in process of fitting some adjustable (strut) top mounts so will also give a nice bit of negative camber.

I will post a pic of the rear soon but rain stopped play!!

Edited by Reebmit

GLPoomobile

Looks pretty good but need to see some profile pics.

Talk us through the mod. Looks like you've joined part of another arch to the bottom, cut and blended it in and then (presumably) its been painted over with some textured paint. How's it been joined? Plastic welded or just fiberglass filler?

• Like 1

Reebmit

Hi, used original arches which although in plastic are not ideal when using fibreglass. I cut off the side sections from the arch and used an angle grinder to remove moulding shape and to key the arch. I then drilled many holes and grooves in the arch so that when glassing/forming it flows through and creates a strong join from both sides like a sandwich. I placed plastic tape similar to insulation tape (but wider) on the body and fitted the cut arch in place. I used fibreglass matt against the plastic tape to form the inner shape and then when that had gone off used fibreglass P40 to create the shape. Once this had hardened off I removed and fillered to form the perfect shape. It is pretty strong and can twist quite a bit and did not show any signs of cracking. I primed/painted the arch and then used the bumper/trim die to match the bumpers. I thought I would need a textured paint but in reality if hardly shows that there is a very slightly different texture. I have to be disciplined with this car and not be too anal as it is actually a road/track car and as such does not need to be perfect bodily/cosmetically and I have to try and keep that mindset.. :) saying that I want it to look good ;)

Only side profile I've got at mo....

post-21418-0-52743800-1419611421_thumb.jpg

Edited by Reebmit
  • Like 1

GLPoomobile

I really like that. I've never been a fan of the wide arches with the odd (squarish) shape and the rivets etc. What you've works a whole lot better IMO.

Reebmit

Cheers, thanks... I'm trying to keep the car as minimal as I can but rims dictate a certain amount of arch...

allanallen

That looks brilliant, very purposful :)

• Like 1

calvinhorse

It's a yes from me :)

Andy_C

That looks really good. Subtle too. Clever modification!

Tom_Gallington06

I'm loving the look mate and the build. :-)

Josh_Quant

Looks spot on... I like it, got enough to sell a set for my d-turbo?

• Like 1

Reebmit

Cheers Josh, na had to break into my original set of plastics so am now one rear one down as I am also trying to keep a set of originals too.... :)

dobboy

What you've done looks fantastic. Well done.

rallyeash

Lovely project!

Reebmit

Cheers guys, enjoying your Honda thread Ash! You're making good progress. Now this car is mot'd and getting up together I can actually continue with the engine work (turbo), nice shopping list coming together ;) Its current engine is a really good strong 8 valve so will be great for a few track days in summer to get everything set up/changed/modified etc... but really pleased with where I am at mo .... :)