• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
arnold80

Underseal In Sections

arnold80

Quick question! I'm unfamiliar with the bodywork side of things when it comes to cars but I'll try my hand at anything. I'm about to undertake, from what I've read, the long and tedious task of stripping all the underseal from my car. I have read through lots of threads on the subject to familiarise myself with the process.

I was wondering if i would be better to get it to at least a primed stage in sections? i.e. boot floor area then tank area, working my way forward, therefore reducing the time the bare metal will be exposed. The reason I say this is I might get so muched stripped then not get back too the car for a few of weeks.

rikky

I'd prime whatever you're got down to bare metal as a matter or urgency whenever you do it to be honest. Whether you do it all in one day or a square foot a month, I wouldn't leave any of it open to moisture etc

welshpug

Theres paint on the steel under the sealant, unless its a rusty area where the sealer is lifting already, though as mentioned, get some etch primer and a solid colour straight on there.

You can always rub the paint down again quickly if needed, primer is porous dont forget.

arnold80

Thanks for the replies! Didn't know that about the etch primer, will get some solid colour aswell!

stu8v

Red oxide primer, then stone chip, then body colour was my choice.

It should give it a fighting chance.

arnold80

Getting stonecipped at a mates garage stu, so just need something on it to protect the bare metal for the time being.

mowflow

I did the rear half of the car in 1 go but it took me a few months as there was some cutting and welding to be done (and I couldn't weld when I started). It was during the summer and the car was garage but I still got some flash rusting. I had to clean it all again with a wire brush before priming.

I've used jotum epoxy mastic. It's used for steel hulled boats so should do the trick.

I'm currently doing the front but learned from my mistake and just cleaned the areas that needed repairs. With those done I gave them a quick coat of primer and have now went onto removing all the other stuff.

It's a job that takes ages. Especially if you are doing it as a hobby rather than a job and only so much can be done at a time if the car is on stands rather than a lift.