• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
iPlod999

Camshaft Advice.

iPlod999

Just put a wanted ad up and looking for a little advice.

Head gasket went the other day and it is in waiting to get fixed. Head off, pressure tested, skimmed, timing water pump......................

I have a standard cam in the engine at the moment. However, there is a slight chip in the dizzy end of the cam.

I hope that as there is not too much force required to turn the dizzy that this is not a major issue.

While the head is off it is probably worth getting the cam changed.

I'm not too fussed about a performance cam. However, if the price was ok then I may get one put in. Will any further adjustment be required if a performance cam was put in with the cost of the labour this may swing me back to a standard cam.

Cheers.

iPlod999

Anyone?

Is it because I spelt camshaft wrong in the title? :)

Simes: I've changed it for you!

DamirGTI

For otherwise standard engine , i'd save the money for something else (say like , an new set of tyres maybe ..) rather than spending the money on a performance camshaft .. standard camshaft is pretty good so you wont get far away performance wise just by fitting aftermarket camshaft , if at all , it'll just lift the power band .

Performance/aftermarket cams generally like higher compression rations , and they work best when mixed in conjunction with a few other engine mods .

Some aftermarket performance camshafts manufacturers state that they do not necessary need to be fitted with an vernier pulley and dialled in/adjusted (like some Newman cams for 205 ..) .. that's mainly for milder profiles (mild or not , i'd still fit a vernier pulley and do the dialling in) , more aggressive profile cams really do need dialling in/adjusting , need vernier pulley , higher static compression ratios , different valve clearance settings , stiffer valve springs .

Dizzy shaft don't need much force to be turned by the cam (can swing the dizzy by hand easily .. even when the springs start tensioning the assembly it'll still be pretty easy for cam to turn it round..) , so slight cam wear shouldn't be a problem ..

But what caused the wear and at what degree is the cam damaged ? have a photo maybe ?

D

Edited by DamirGTI

iPlod999

Thank you for the detailed response.

I think I will stick with a standard cam.

I have no idea how the end was damaged. I have been through 3 dizzy seal rings over 2 years which cause a slight oil leak at the top end.

Maybe the damage to the cam is making slight vibration.

Thank again.