• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
FireFly

Advice Needed For Removing Gti Front Bumper

FireFly

Had a quick look at the 205 bumper and just wondered how to get it off.

On the 306 it was 2 x bolts either side facing forward into the slampanel, behind the washer bottle on one side and openly exposed on the other (providing arch liners were removed).

On the 205 I pressume its the two very rusty bolts either side as seen here:

205_zpseaa60d5d.jpg

Are there any others? If so can someone show me / explain where they are please?

Tom Fenton

2 where you say, 2 more at the front, remove the front grill then you can see where the bumper irons come forward and where the bolts are.

Anthony

If they haven't been removed in years then there's a very good chance that they will snap on removal, even with copious amounts of penetrating spray. The two on the side are particularly bad for this as they are exposed to all the spray and muck flicking up off the wheel.

Worth keeping in mind if it's a daily driver, although the T-shape bolts are still available from Peugeot and the nuts are standard M8 thread.

Also, there's a couple of L shape brackets going from the bottom of the headlight panel to the underside of the driving lamps that you'll need to remove if you're taking the bumper and valance off as a combined unit. The M6 stud where it attaches to the headlight panel will almost certainly snap if it's not been off in years, although it's not critical and can be replaced using a nut and bolt.

FireFly

2 where you say, 2 more at the front, remove the front grill then you can see where the bumper irons come forward and where the bolts are.

Thanks, I'll check it out tomorrow after work! I'll grab some pictures of the grill removed too for other peoples future reference.

If they haven't been removed in years then there's a very good chance that they will snap on removal, even with copious amounts of penetrating spray. The two on the side are particularly bad for this as they are exposed to all the spray and muck flicking up off the wheel.

Worth keeping in mind if it's a daily driver, although the T-shape bolts are still available from Peugeot and the nuts are standard M8 thread.

Also, there's a couple of L shape brackets going from the bottom of the headlight panel to the underside of the driving lamps that you'll need to remove if you're taking the bumper and valance off as a combined unit. The M6 stud where it attaches to the headlight panel will almost certainly snap if it's not been off in years, although it's not critical and can be replaced using a nut and bolt.

Uhh, so the headlights need to be removed also?

Was just planning on cable tieing / bodging it back on to be honest.. ^_^

Pictures would be a lot more helpful if anyone has any..

Edited by FireFly

Anthony

Headlights can stay in

Just need to remove the grill and you can just about get at the front two bumper fixings - you'll probably want a 13mm ratchet spanner.

The other two L-shaped brackets for the valance are behind the driving lamps and easily accessed from underneath or the wheel arch.

You'll need to re-attach the bumper securely otherwise it's an MOT fail - if you're being a skinflint, an allen or torx headed M8 bolt with a rectangular front seat subframe washer makes a reasonable substitute and will just about be covered by the red strip (or could be painted black I spose to make it less obvious if you don't have the strip).

JoshGti

As per Anthony's responce, a 13mm ratchet spanner is the perfect tool for getting at the front two nuts!

FireFly

Lovely, I'm sure I'll cock something up and not find these bolts, either way I'll update my findings tomorrow evening! :D Thanks guys!

welshpug

tbh I wouldn't bother even trying a spanner on them unless they look recent, just get in there with the cutting disc.

Callum

Is it possible to remove the front bumper by removing the middle t bolts and then undoing the nuts that hold the corner supports to the body and lift the bumper of with the sliders etc still attached? I've circled the bit I mean in the picture below 

20181223_210608.jpg

Edited by Callum

Telf

No.

The sliders on the bumper are held to the support bar by the T bolt and nut,  you have to undo that ( on the left side of your picture if it was fitted) to remove the bumper.

As stated already they are generally corroded to hell and just need cutting out and replacing- preferably with a stainless after market set. The support strut is neither here nor there and doesn't have to be removed

Edited by Telf

Callum

Right okay I have new stainless t bolts that I got off eBay, like you say mine are corroded so I was thinking I might have been able to remove it at the corner bars in one unit to give me better access for cutting the old bolts off but now you've said it I can see from the picture that's not possible I should have looked closer at it before posting! 

Edited by Callum

Tom Fenton

The t bolts hold the slider to the bumper. Unless the sliders are rotten you should not need to disturb that. What you probably need to replace are the top hats and rubbers that fit into the slider and secure to the corner bar at the outer end.

Callum
2 minutes ago, Tom Fenton said:

The t bolts hold the slider to the bumper. Unless the sliders are rotten you should not need to disturb that. What you probably need to replace are the top hats and rubbers that fit into the slider and secure to the corner bar at the outer end.

Yes I thought that I did comment on one of your post about the ones you made, are you going to be making anymore? 

Tom Fenton

I didn’t see the post, better to contact me direct. Yes I can sort you out the top hat spacers.