• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Wes

What Trailer To Tow A 205?

welshpug

I believe its 4250 total, on a 3.5t licence.

(i.e 750kg gross trailer behind a transit t350, gross of 3.5, unladen of 2000 or thereabouts)

Or in the example above, 1150 gross., which still is not enough.

Tom Fenton

It is only 4250kg for an unbraked trailer up to 750kg, basically to allow as you say a Tranny van @ 3500kg to tow your typical genny. For a braked trailer its 3500kg train weight.

TooMany2cvs

"To tow over 750 kgs with a B licence you need to say NO to the following:-

Is the plated MAM of the trailer more than the UNLADEN/KERB/EMPTY weight of the towing vehicle?

Does the GVW of the towing vehicle plus the plated MAM of the trailer add up to more than 3500 kgs?

Is the ACTUAL weight of the empty trailer and its load more than the listed towing capacity?"

From http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1100356 and written by a real live expert.

Edited by TooMany2cvs

welshpug

It is only 4250kg for an unbraked trailer up to 750kg, basically to allow as you say a Tranny van @ 3500kg to tow your typical genny. For a braked trailer its 3500kg train weight.

Ahh got you, so basically i cant legally tow anything behind a transit van, even if it is plated to tow 2250 kg, as it'd be a total mam of 5750, even if in reality probably closer to the 4 mark.

My bmw is 1515 kg with full tank, gross plate weight is 2025kg, so i can tow 1475 kg, if i dif trailer test i could tow the full 1800kg its plated for.

TooMany2cvs

Ahh got you, so basically i cant legally tow anything behind a transit van, even if it is plated to tow 2250 kg, as it'd be a total mam of 5750, even if in reality probably closer to the 4 mark.

AIUI - yes, you could tow 750kg MAM (braked or unbraked).

Tom Fenton

Ahh got you, so basically i cant legally tow anything behind a transit van,

You can tow up to 750kg unbraked, thats it.

I did this a few times with the DON @ 440kg on a 250kg unbraked trailer. Never got tugged but it would have been interesting to see the coppers face when the trailer and car went on the weighbridge.

Jolly Green Monster

Mines a bit overkill for the 205

null_zps59a4490c.jpg

Probably overkill for my racecar too lol

7CEE1420-A3CE-4775-B822-7D8552207CC2-107

Simon

Wes

ok i think i understand it now. so has anyone done the test? is it simple enough, i have towed before including large tractor and trailer, so i think i will be ok with the manouvers.

Jolly Green Monster

Anyone I know that done the test did the day course then test.

I am old enough to need no test :rolleyes:

jackherer

From what I've heard people only tend to fail on ordinary driving test things, the towing specific things aren't an issue. I don't have direct experience though, I got my license before they changed.

trogboy

I've done it and passed!

If you've towed before then the manouvers are easy - you have to reverse the trailer through an S-bend and back into a parking bay during which you can shunt twice and get out once if you feel the need.

You have to be able to answer a few theory questions which are mainly common sense. As people have said the tricky bit is passing the driving element, I found shedding the little bad habits that I have picked up and driving for an hour like a standard driving test took quite a bit of concentration.

I had 5 hours of training over a day followed by the test the following day, all payed for by my employer as they need me to tow. I could have got by with less training but it was useful to just practice driving to test standards. I guess it cost my firm £3-400 all in.

Ad

White Pugs

I've got a Minno Max like the one 2pugs pictures towed by his beemer, its just the job. I have had an A series in the past too and that was really good also. Brian James trailers are good quality and they keep their value. I had my A series 7 years and ebayed it last winter, I only lost £50 on what I paid for it!