• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dch1950

Cloth Bolster Covers - Black

dch1950

Good evening all,

Gave the Pug a good clean today, and will do the plasticare treatment once I get the trim degreased. I must admit I've left the car to itself for a while but I'll give it some TLC this week.

Got a call from Paul Newberry this afternoon ( in at his workshop on bank holiday :) ) to tell me the green top sew small batch I gave him on the 26th is now sewn, along with a sampler black leather (red top sew) thigh bolster. Will go and collect tomorrow pm, so expect piccys once I get back from Coventry. Sales have finally kicked into gear and progress well. So to all of you I recommend that you make a note of what wire goes wire in the listings etc., 'cos I've forgotten where some of them go mi'self. Take a picture I suppose would be best.

Still have a struggle get things done on the "to do" list but will plod on until I do finish. Really would like to trim my driver seat up (in time for it's MOT), also want to sew a Rallye front seat as well. All this and orders to deal with as well.

Ah well - could be worse.

best regards

Dave

Edp

Very interested to see what the leather samples are like :)

dch1950

Whatever they are Ed, they aren't samples.

Traffic was awful in and around Coventry last evening so was a bit hot and bothered when I got back last night, so I retired to the garden and sank a couple, and a had a think about things.

I picked up the part batch of green top sewn B09 bolsters, and I think the green looks better against the black needle cord than the red. Still we'll see. They need a little final sewing to be done, fillet attachment and a section of wing piping so 1/2 a day to do on them before releasing to the shop. Paul did me a pair of thigh bolsters ( red top stitch) in black for the protos. Black, first of all, for fairly obvious reasons, hide supply is from one supplier to known a known quality standard , so everyone's happy. I think they look and feel great. Nice supple hide, sews up nicely and I think it is a good main (first) choice. I have received a Charcoal grey sample but would prefer more in order to narrow the choice down for the first of the greys. I have NO lighter grey yet so don't ask for it. That's not to say it can't be matched - but doing it from the Peugeot sales brochure pictures just won't do.

These leather bolster sets are custom, and made to order only. They will be sold as a full (front) seat set comprising of all 4 bolster covers. Top sewn in either the red or green. They are competitively priced at £155 for the set, ordered in advance through my site shop or by email to me. A 50% (of order total) deposit will be required to be paid to secure the order. The lead times are a little fluid at the moment and will evolve over time. I have to sort out my carry box items this morning and will attempt to get some pictures on my gallery and here asap.

best regards

Dave

PS just added a couple of pics -DCH

Edited by dch1950

welshpug

Looks good Dave.

Awaiting progress on Grey :D:P

dch1950

you and me both WP, unfortunately it's not within my current scope.

But to be precise the colour of the leather doesn't affect progress of any kind.

regards

Dave

bondo

Dave - so if I bought the set of four bolster covers @ £155 then I would need to stitch them to my existing seat covers (black half leather red quintet)? Ie I would reuse the red fabric?

Or will you do a complete (ex headrest) front seats cover for the black/red half leathers?

Edp

Dave, they are brilliant.

Its a shame the green quintet seat material didn't work out as mine are ruined. Little black and been dots falling out all over the place.

photo_zpsc38b5dba.jpg

Edited by Edp

dch1950

Hi,

In the absence of any viable insert material replacement being available then you will re-use/recycle your inserts - I have always wanted to produce a full replacement seat cover, that realisation was made very early on in my current project life cycle and was on the road to completion using my own material ( see my other thread on "Quintet"); this was a good option for those GTi's using Quartet, or at least capable of switching to it.

Complete seat covers really are the last part of my development cycle as they involve minor assembly sewing. It just depends what insert material to use though - doesn't it. I think you have a problem if your inserts are no good. This seat saga goes on and on and you may rest assured my prices are very reasonable - just check out the other players in this field. I know who they are - it's taken me 4 years find them all, tell a lie, less than that because I was around quite a while before most of them got involved in the lucrative GTi seat market. But then I don't sell recycled tat. So you must judge for your self.

I will produce full covers, front and rear sets, but the owners who will benefit are going to be ones who can use the other insert materials i.e. Ramier - for which a replica is on sale (expensive though) or the Rallye guys as their seats are all black needle cord. Easy-peasy, and then of course, we have those who want to buy full custom seats from materials of their own choice. There is still a lot of research that has to be done - I'm pretty well up to speed on things at the moment, but it may be that we are going to have to wean ourselves off Quartet - I can't say what the answer to that one is yet.

regards

Dave

dch1950

Hi Ed,

unfortunately they aren't dots and this is indicative of a greater malaise I'm afraid. The insert strips are breaking down. I have not given up on Quintet - but looking back, I was dead lucky in finding a firm that would weave me such a small amount for such a good price.

regards

Dave

• Like 1

cRaig

Leather bolsters look absolutely fantastic Dave, looking forward to seeing them on a finished seat :)

dch1950

Hi Craig,
I may do that - but it's down to Paul I think, so don't wait on me for that. He has a frame and foams, so once we get the sewing details fully finalised, I will want him to trim a seat up for sales & marketing purposes. - using Quintet for the inserts - of course.(I still have some that I've kept for personal use - know what I mean. :ph34r:)

Peeing down with rain here today - so I'm quite happy just doing some piecing together on Tom's green sew thigh bolster covers.

How's business going your end?

regards

Dave

Edited by dch1950

Edp

If you need a picture of a set re-trimmed finished in a car let me know. I'll happily take a set as payment :P

dch1950

Good morning,

I have been mulling over some of the ideas I'd had over the last couple of years, made even more pertinent by the recent (temporary) demise of my insert material aka "Quintet". One particular one - that I rather liked was the one suggested by Miles - namely a custom seat cover, comprising of black ( punched ?) Alcantara inserts (GTI embroidered logo on squab in red/green thread) paired with black hide bolster covers ( top sewn in red/green). I think this will look rather good. Of course the path to various versions of custom seats is now open, as the patterns are the key item, not the particular materials used. I have to finish the trim of my cloth bolstered / Quintet cover, and also produce Quintet inserts for Paul - to be leathered ( if there is such a word) and then a "Rallye" cover ( all B09) with the flamme embroidered to the squab. This should then set the stage for this summers general launch and promo of my full replacement cover service.

Thanks for keeping the faith.

regards

Dave

• Like 1

dch1950

Good evening,

I have prepared the fabric I need to sew a Rallye front seat cover up, and will sew it tomorrow. This a the first complete cover , assembled using the bolster components that I have now got in production. The flamme is embroidered in place on the squab and should look good. I will also be progressing with my other fabrics - despite clowns trying to take over my threads. My first 2 points - I'm so proud.

regards

Dave

dch1950

Hi all,

Taking my time and making sure my sewing is spot on. The biggest problem with a clutch motor machine is controlling the start up and initial acceleration. Nothing too major - :)

Doing this while trying to sew in straight lines can be a little wearing and I must admit I get eye strain after about an hour of sewing.

Still I think it's improving - slow and steady. I will add an extender plate to the clutch arm this should improve things generally.

• Like 1

trogboy

Top effort Dave! That looks fantastic!

Edited by trogboy

welshpug

Very good, and harder wearing than the original by a long sight no doubt :D

dch1950

I'll finish it off tomorrow - just got to sew the squab bolster covers to the top section, and then sew the centre foam attachment listings down either side. Those bits that wrap behind the centre piece foam and tighten the insert up cross ways. I made up an extender plate this evening which gives me more action on the machine treadle so I need to re-familiarise myself with the clutch bite point again. All great fun and very therapeutic. I know for a fact that 12 months ago I was going to chuck it all in and was thinking of selling my Wimsew, but I didn't and got here in the end. I think speed will be a problem for me though and that's the reason I've recruited another production machinist to help, this means as the apprentice , I'll be given the easy stuff to do - for a while anyway :unsure:

thanks for your kind words

regards

Dave

dch1950

Hi all,

Got some B09 needle cord , at last, for stock. Been a slight delay in getting it, what with holidays etc. I will send some Rallye inserts to be embroidered with the "flamme" and then I can finish a full seat set for stock. I do think the flamme looks better embroidered in.

I've just bought myself a new exercise bike - one with a huge flywheel on the front, and it takes it out of you when you get going on it.

Still it's all good stuff, and as they say "I can talk (just) but I can't sing"

regards

Dave