• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
NFS

Which Thermostat?

NFS
welshpug

First one looks right, just a generic 83 degree 53.5mm thermostat, as used by many many many cars.

whatever cross references to the o.e part number of 1338 37.

not seen a car using the second type, does it look like what you have on the car?

Anthony

As said, the first one looks about right at a glance - you'll probably need the later type seal for it.

One thing I would say is the last thermostat I bought from ECP (for a GTi-6) was utter garbage and felt very flimsy and cheaply made. The difference between that and the Gates item I replaced it with shortly after was night and day.

If you've got a Halfords trade card btw then they usually have 8v thermostats on the shelf and they're dirt cheap (and come with the seals!). They're QH branded and I've used them on many 8v's without issue - QTH332K is the part number.

NFS

First one looks right, just a generic 83 degree 53.5mm thermostat, as used by many many many cars.

whatever cross references to the o.e part number of 1338 37.

not seen a car using the second type, does it look like what you have on the car?

Yeah me neither, i havent see the actual thermostat that is on my car but i defo dont have that sort of housing, however you never know if the pictures is actaully looks like the item being sold.

As said, the first one looks about right at a glance - you'll probably need the later type seal for it.

One thing I would say is the last thermostat I bought from ECP (for a GTi-6) was utter garbage and felt very flimsy and cheaply made. The difference between that and the Gates item I replaced it with shortly after was night and day.

If you've got a Halfords trade card btw then they usually have 8v thermostats on the shelf and they're dirt cheap (and come with the seals!). They're QH branded and I've used them on many 8v's without issue - QTH332K is the part number.

thanks i have a trade card, do you know how much they are of the top of your head, i want to get a winter pre service and if i can get everything from halfords that will save a lot of time, i tried looking on there website for that part number but nothing came up.

Anthony

I think last time I bought one a few months back it was a little under £3.50

QTH332K on Halfords website

I wonder if they've stopped selling it however looking at that link given it's listed as not available to collect or to be delivered. Wouldn't surprise me, as they've been cutting back on a number of car spares that they used to keep on the shelf, and these might be another victim of that :(

welshpug

Most local factors do qh as well, i know most around here do them or motaquip, or firstline.

NFS

Thanks guys, i need a heater matrix and coolent flush then hopefully i might have some form of heating in my car lol