• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
thedude2u

Oil Temperature Sensor Operation

thedude2u

I'm having some trouble with the oil temp sensor on my 1.6 GTI. I was hoping someone could comment on what is considered normal operation of this sensor. When I start the engine cold, the needle on the temp gauge is at the min (far left side of the gauge). Once I drive the car for a half hour or so, the needle is lucky to move one mark off the minimum. It seems like the gauge would settle to the middle once the oil is up to temperature. Is this normal operation, or is there something wrong with my sender?

I have checked the wire going from the sender to the gauge. When I apply ground to the wire, the gauge goes to max. So I don't think I have an problem with the wiring unless the engine oil pan is not properly grounded to the chassis. Any help is greatly appreciated. Trying to decide whether or not to have a new oil temp sender shipped to the USA.

Cheers,

Joe

S@m

Without continued sustained revs the oil temp will stay very low indeed, first or second line. Only when really hammering it does it go any higher depending on climate obviously but i imagine yours is fairly similar to the UK.

Edited by Sam306

jackherer

Yes, that sounds totally normal to me.

thedude2u

Excellent. Many thanks. You guys just save me about $100 US. That exchange rate is going nuts!

jackherer

I can't remember ever changing a faulty one actually, I've had to replace loads that have been physically damaged on engines dragged around concrete yards etc but none that have failed on their own.

That's interesting info about the exchange rate, I've been thinking of buying a couple of items from the US so I'm off to check the current prices...

thedude2u

Now is the time to buy from USA. The GBP/USD has broken out to multi-year highs. I just ordered stuff from the UK a few months ago at 1.50 exchange. Now it is 1.64! Maybe that makes my GTI in the USA worth a little more :)