• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pugfrank

Out Of The Equation?

pugfrank

Is it possible to take the SAD out of the equation?

I only ask as my idle speed on the pug has begun to play up again, im on my 3rd second hand unit now. The car is idling at 2200rpm when cold!

Cheers

James

P.s would having no oil temperature wired up affect the idle from ecu readings?

welshpug

whilst it is possible, it really wont solve anything and is quite unlikely to have anything at all to do with the poor idling.

the SAD is a VERY simple valve operated by a bi-metallic spring, which slowly closes as the engine warms up due to being bolted to the side of the thermostat housing, it also has a very small 12v electric heater element.

oil temp is not connected to the ecu.

Edited by welshpug

EdCherry

I run one of my 205's without an SAD. Certainly have to let the thing warm up for a couple of minutes before I can release the throttle but that's not an issue for me...

allanallen

I run one of mine without, wouldn't recommend it on a daily driver

Anthony

Personally, if it idles correctly once it's warmed up then I wouldn't worry too much about the idle speed being a bit high when it's cold. It's worth making sure that you don't have an airleak somewhere though, as this can give similar symptoms (the cold start enrichment giving sufficient extra fuel to make the idle speed very high)

As said, no SAD on Jetronic is not going to be pretty, particularly given that they're not known for wonderful cold start idling at the best of times. You can do it on Motronic and aftermarket management though, as they'll use ignition advance to maintain the idle.

pugfrank

Thanks Guys,

Just started the car up after it not being used for 3weeks. The car started pretty damn good, cranked 2-3 seconds it caught let it tick over for about 30 seconds, rev counter was reading 1000rpm. As soon as I touched the throttle to reverse it up the drive the idle climbed to 2000rpm which it then just sat at. Does this tell me anything??

Running the car without a SAD valve is not going to work as need car to be easy to start for the wife to use it more!!

pugfrank

How do I check to see if I have power to the SAD? got a blue and white wire going into it.

P.s Im only a beginner mechanic so these forums are my only source to answering my questions, as I cant afford to just let the car go to the garage.

welshpug

One is ignitiom switched 12v, the other is earth.

Even if its unplugged it will still work, imo your issues are elsewhere in the engine management system

Anthony

An unplugged SAD would take a LONG time to close in this weather, if at all - I had mine unplugged briefly last summer, and even in 20+ degree temperatures it took several minutes to finally close and would barely stay closed.

The earth for the SAD is through the starter solenoid wire btw, and from memory, the 12v power feed comes from the tachymetric relay.

pugfrank

So I turned on ignition, unplugged wire from SAD put my multi meter across it and no volts what so ever! so that's the first thing I have to sort.

Where is the tachymetric relay located in engine bay? white or blue wire from my sad goes to this?

Anthony

Start the engine and try again - tachymetric relay is the fuel pump relay, and thus there won't be any voltage without the engine running.

On all but the early models, the relay is located inside the cabin, underneath the dashboard roughly above the drivers right knee - it's a black relay about 2" long next to the ECU.

pugfrank

will try this tomorrow. cheers.

EdCherry

Have you looked to make sure the throttle cable isn't sticking? You know start with the easy and obvious stuff first...