• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Reebmit

Single 45 Dcoe/dhla

Reebmit

Has anyone tried a single side draught carb on a standard1600 ? we used to use them on Crossflows and A Series and were great for reliability, performance and ease of setting up. Everytime I look at the injection set up on these cars I think how over complex it is i.e rubber hoses, SAD etc.....a single sidedraught would not have ultimate power of injection but would be an interesting alternative. One of mine is on twin 45's and is great, reliable and runs perfectly. I have always had a soft spot for carbs and can normally be done on a sensible budget without the need for aftermarket ECU's, throttle bodies, sensors etc....

I think I might put something together next year and give it go.

welshpug

I would imagine the Jetronic system to be far more reliable and nicer to drive than a single carb.

I would prefer half a dozen sensors over a bloddy carb :P

What can be more simple than an SAD? its just a simple valve with two hoses going to it, easier than a ruddy choke cable :lol:

Reebmit

I would imagine the Jetronic system to be far more reliable and nicer to drive than a single carb.

I would prefer half a dozen sensors over a bloddy carb :P

What can be more simple than an SAD? its just a simple valve with two hoses going to it, easier than a ruddy choke cable :lol:

Interesting, each to their own, can't get much simpler than a single sidedraught, fuel in, all done... will give it a go out of interest sometime. The Jetronic is probably great when all up together but I personally hate it......

Choke cable! ha just a couple of prods will do.....simple :P

Reebmit

Don't know what happened there ha ha,

Interesting, each to their own, can't get much simpler than a single sidedraught, fuel in, all done... will give it a go out of interest sometime. The Jetronic is probably great when all up together but I personally hate it......

Choke cable! ha just a couple of prods will do.....simple

omega

well I would be intrested in seeing if it works

would a single be able to flow enough?

Reebmit

Hi, no problem, especially on a standard 1.6 or 1.9. On the ford scene there are some hot 2 litre pinto's running single 45/48 etc... I had a 3 litre V6 with a single 50 on it and also a ripping 1700 crossflow..with a 45. Lynx were one of the more popular makes of manifold for this but I would think this will have to be a bespoke jobbie on a 205. The maifold design is key to getting this working correctly. I did have a quick look on this site and see Miles was discussing it a while back and I think it has already been done on a 205, I would be interested to see info/results.

I hear lots from people who hate carbs, i,e always going out of tune, coughing, spluttering, bad fuel etc....its just not true if done properley, it normally comes down to poor initial set up, bad linkages etc... Of the many twin dcoe set ups I have had over the years they have always performed perfectly, I've had far more problems with standard injection systems. The single dcoes are even simpler and are really just a set up and use type affair.

alexcrosse

well a carb isn't simple is it... jets, floats, screws. chokes, venturis etc... completely weather dependent too, and work relative to air flow but nothing much else.

Where as an injector is just one valve effectively... on and off.

Injections will give you better air flow, so potentially more power. And because to its control, higher pressure and spray patter you will get better reliability, better efficiency, and better driveability...

I have plenty of experience with SU's and Webers, and even when they're perfectly set up, they're no where near as driveable as injection. Just look at the shape of the inlet you would have to use and then have some compassion for cylinders 1 and 4...

Reebmit

No arguments there. My cars are after all just a hobby, always fun to do something different, as I stated above its an interesting alternative. I fully understand that injection is far better in nearly all aspects to carbs but that is not what I'm after. For me carbs are very a very simple route to go and this is just a small project to put into my ever growing pot of projects...

alexcrosse

Just seems like an insane 'alternative'. It's like trying to push a cassette into an iPod.

• Like 1

Miles

it has been done, A lad in Wales did with with fair results from memory, It was down to Road Rallying rules and hence the set up, Bugger is I cannot remember his name now :ph34r:​