• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
TRMB84GTI

Engine Transplant Question

TRMB84GTI

Hi guys I hope you are all well! I really love my little 205 but I am getting to the stage where I can't stand the crappy power an lack of a fith gear! I did used to to have a gti but it had to to go due to needing some cash.

I have a pretty mint h reg 900cc xe but next to miles on the clock. Have you guys got any ideas for mods that I can do or would suggest a engine swap? I just need to get an idea of cost and so on. Just wondering if I spend a grand on it, it may be worth while rather than changing it for something dull?

I will keen to hear feedback and what you would do? Thanks for taking the time at looking at my post.

Tom

Edited by TRMB84GTI

Daviewonder

Sorry I might be reading it wrong but are you saying you sold your fifth gear as you were short of money?

TRMB84GTI

I am on my iPad and it did the fantastic auto correct

calvinhorse

If you are handy with the spanners and favrication you could just about afford to put a 106 gti engine in.

An easy option would be the 205xs 1360cc engine which would give you 85bhp an keep the weight down, all driveshafts, exhaust, mounts and loom are the same so money could be spent on maybe a cam and 4 branch which shoul see around 100bhp and sound pretty sweet!

allye

You could stick a 1360 in for a couple hundred like Calvinhorse says!

MiniGibbo

Id fit the s1 106 rallye injection engine... 1300cc an 100hp.

Best bang for buck tbh

TRMB84GTI

I have not idea when it comes to mechanics I am afraid! So is 1360 a straight swap into a car like mine? I suppose they are the sort of things I will have to comb ebay for, you don't see to many rallye engines about or am I being naive?

welshpug

just buy an XS then!

or, start learning damn fast, we all started somewhere.

Edited by welshpug

TRMB84GTI

That is an option I suppose!

S@m

When i first came on this forum i could barely do an oil change, now i have just finished converting my 205 to an mi16 and a friends to 8v turbo then gti6 so it is not impossible to 'learn damn fast' as suggested above.

...But, what i will add to that is, i wouldn't bother converting your current car to either an XS engine or otherwise when you can just buy one. No point doing a conversion to build a car that can already be bought in my opinion; you get all the downsides of a conversion (lots of work, sourcing the correct parts, modified insurance etc etc.) with none of the benefits of driving something a bit different. Unless you are particularly attached to that shell for whatever reason then i'd just buy a more powerful model.

Edited by Sam306

Daviewonder

Personally I would sell your current 205, add the money to your £1000 budget, then buy a GTI.

TRMB84GTI

Good advise guys, buy into something ready to go. Time to save some pennies

allye

Fancy a project? There is a ratty XS for sale on here for £350!

For reference I used to get over 40mpg on a run in one of my old XS's!

TRMB84GTI

Thanks for the heads up Ali! I have plans to go racing in the near future so project are out the window :P I think I am going to have to make do for the time being.

johniban

i will have a 1.6 8v s2 rallye engine for sale soon from my 205 rallye