• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Stu

Scrapping A Car With No V5, Thats Not In My Name...

Stu

Hi all,

Im considering buying a car to break, the car got damaged by the current owner some time ago, has been VIC'd and re-taxed and mot'd and is currently roadworthy.

Problem is, he says the DVLA havent sent him the V5 back, i dont want to apply for the book at cost as it'll never go back on the road.

So my question is this, i know the car has been VIC'd as the marker has been lifted (VOSA confirmed this) so if i buy the car, break it, is it simply enough to write to the DVLA and inform them the vehicle has been scrapped?

Will a merchant take the shell with no V5?

allye

Unless you find a dodgy pikey willing to take it you'll have a hard time!

Anthony

Depends on the scrappy in question in my experience - some will take cars without any paperwork, others will insist on a V5 in your name.

Writing to the DVLA to confirm that the shell has been scrapped will suffice if the scrappy doesn't do it through the proper channels.

BERTMAN

In my experience if your going to weigh in a shell the scrap yards don't care much for paperwork

Alastairh

I have done it. Do you have the green slip? Just say its in post but they should be able to do it over the chassis number, but my scrappy knows me well.

TooMany2cvs

Chop the shell up and dispose of it as scrap metal. Then get your mate whose car it is to write to DVLA, enclosing the VIN plate, and tell 'em the score.

If it's not a mate selling it, are you 110% sure it's legit and not nicked?

Stu

Ive not bought the car so no new keepers bit, and i daresay the seller wont have it if he's had to surrender the log book after being paid out.

As for how legit it is, i reasonably confident its his car, he's a member on a forum and has posted progress pics pre and post accident so im ok on that front.

Just dont wanna be lumbered with a shell i cant 'legally' dispose off....

Leet205

Sounds a bit strange that he has no v5 after passing the vic. I doubt its had one done! Once you pass the vic you should be able to apply for the v5 for free. That's how it worked when I done it a few years ago.

you can put the cars reg into the dvla website and it should show if the marker is still on, you can call them as well for this info.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-identity-check/check-if-a-car-has-a-vic-marker

Edit - you said the marker has been taken off and confirmed by the DVLA. I need glasses it would seem.

Edited by Leet205

2-Pugs

Why dont you just apply for the V5 yourself?

TooMany2cvs

Why dont you just apply for the V5 yourself?

Because the seller doesn't have a V5C himself, and nobody wants to stump up the £19 to get a replacement...

MiniGibbo

Not in your name then don't worry.. Cut the shell up and weigh it in as sheering worry free.

cheesegrater

Ive bought a couple of cars and scrapped them within a week of filling in the v5 so obviously no paperwork on my side. Haven't had a problem so far.