• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Grez28

406 2.0 Hdi Cam Drive Pinion Help!

Grez28

http://s1302.photobucket.com/user/graham28slater/media/C7ED7936-990B-4965-B3C2-0FA67ED5810B-22858-00000472E0FDE7C5_zpsc476bfd4.mp4.html

As above, is this normal? Neither the key or the pinion show any signs of wear.

When I came to put the timing pins in, with the crank locked the cam pulley was about a tooth away from lining up. Suppose the slack on the key could have caused it. Any help appreciated. Graham

ablister

For piece of mind a new woodruff key for crank isn't expensive but first i'd try pinning it up as normal, put belt on and tension. Turn engine (by hand) a few times then see if the timing is still ok. The bottom belt gear will be clamped by the bottom pulley/bolt so isn't going anywhere.

Edited by ablister

Grez28

Cheers mate, like I said the key or the pinion don't show any signs of wear. I just wondered if the pinion might have been the wrong part or something. Will give it a go tomorrow. Can't see it being a problem once the crank bolt is tight :)

RossD

This is normal, they are designed to be like this! Early models had a vernier type camshaft pulley, the slightly later ones dont, they had this 'wide' style keyway. As long as the crank and camshaft are locked in place, once you tension the belt up properly and put the crankshaft pulley back on, its all perfectly fine.

Its designed so that when you tension the belt, it doesnt alter the cam timing, any play is taken up by the bottom belt pulley.

Edited by RossD
  • Like 1

B1ack_Mi16

Second that. Just lock flywheel and campulley, and make sure the bottom pulley is as close to "center" in the slot as possible when you put on the belt.

Then tighten the belt up and timing will be perfectly fine. This way you can also have the head skimmed, and still with just 1 tensioner pulley get the timing correct.

welshpug

Isn't the timing pin hole in the flywheel on these anyway?

So the crank and cam/s will be in the correct position regardless :)

Grez28

That's how I did it :) when I had a good look at it I sort of realised it wouldn't make a difference anyway. Thanks for the replys

Graham