• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
TooMany2cvs

(Base-Model) Rear Beam Options

TooMany2cvs

So today I've discovered that even MOT fail sheets are boring white now.

"Nearside radius arm has excessive play in a pin/bearing".

Is it bad?

"Yep, pretty bad".

Oh.

I've been noticing increased creakiness from the back end lately, and I guess that'll be why.

So - what to do? I've not had a close look myself yet. 150k, afaia the back end's never been touched. We don't _NEED_ the car in use, but it'd be generally preferable (15mpg from the last tank in the other legal vehicle)... There's three weeks of ticket left on it, and it comes under the 10day half-price retest, so - all in all, I'd quite like to get it done asap.

Get a ready-refurb beam?

Get a usable untouched beam, then refurb this one at leisure?

Just get stuck in to this one?

Anybody got a beam - preferably near the Welsh borders?

welshpug

If there is noticeable play its pretty safe to say that the only salvageable parts will be the trailing arms and torsion bars, the tube/crossmember and the arm shafts will be shot.

My preferred route is to source a decent donor from a breakers for very little cash (circa £30-£40, I pull them apart if possible before handing the cash over)

The best donors are the base models, the ones without even a rear arb tend to be the best condition, though even these will likely need new shafts but these are available on ebay for very reasonable prices.

jord294

I'm in Flintshire and if you want to leave your car with me, I can supply and fit a rebuilt beam