• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
p1234

Spark Plugs

p1234

What spark plugs are you guys using?

I had a set of NGK plugs in my 1.6 rallycross car when bringing it to my tuning man and he binned them saying there useless. He fitted a set of Bosch 4 prong ones. Ive gone to a few motor factors to get these as I generally change them every 2-3 events and have been told Bosch are terrible and to use NGK!

Don't know what to use now.

welshpug

what spec is your engine?

NGK is what I have always used, is what Sandy recommends to use as well, they tend to be readily available and very cheap, there isnt any point in spending £40-50 on fancy ones where well under a tenner will do the job just as well.

I cannot see why you would need to change them that often if you choose the correct plug.

p1234

Standard stockhatch 1.6,

What about these prongs, I can't see a 4 prong plug being of any benifit to a standard engine.

NGK twin prong plugs are cheap, I think the Bosch 4 prong ones are €20

welshpug

if its standard compression then a totally bog standard single electrode plug will suit you just fine.

p1234

While I was of that opinion when bringing the car to the tuner he ran it on the roller first off and it was 99hp. AFM was knocked out of whack so he did a bit of work to that and changed the ssingle prong NGK plugs to the bosch ones and it produced 116hp which isn't bad for an engine crying out fir a rebuild.

Another 205 stockhatch was done that day with a rebuilt engine producing 125hp with Bosch plugs used aswell.

welshpug

its likely that the plugs may have been fouled up, so a fiddle with the afm and a new set of the very same plug would have given the same result.

125 from a "stock" 1.6 ?? something not stock about that one for certain!

incorrect heat range and inappropriate fuel will hold you back as you can't wind the advance on as much, especially on increased compression, but we're talking over 11-1.

I know sandy was recommending a 7 or 8 heat range plug for DCC, but that's an engine running a 300 degree rally cam on bodies and 1.6 pistons in a 1.9, IIRC his 230 bhp TU5's run a standard single electrode 7 heat range NGK.

Miles

You forget that the cam tolerances where quite large from Pug to get around the standard part, thats why in the 750 now I think a kent cam is a must as we used to grind them from OE Pug blanks to get around the not std part, That figure is around right.

Plugs, 4 prong prolong the life as the spark has 4 points of contact so to speak,

I don;t like Bosch either, NGK here too, 6 heat range is fine, when you think GTi6 run this spec

p1234

Apologies lads, the plugs in my 205 were Champion originally.

I can vouch for the other 205 producing that power standard, the guy is 100% by the book.

DamirGTI

Champion plugs - the worst of the lot ! .. i had very poor experience using them in various engines/car brands .

NGK or Eyquem plugs are proven best for PSA engines .

D

• Like 1