• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DamirGTI

106 Gti Race Car

DamirGTI

Evening !

Bit of research in behalf of my mate who races slalom discipline with a 106 GTi .

He has issued with the PAS steering rack binding/locking .

Since the type of the race asks for loads of fast steering movement lock-to-lock , the binding/locking issue appears while turning the steering wheel sharpish from one to another side , say by steering to the left and in the need to quickly change direction ie. steer the car to the right side - the steering wheel binds/locks .

My guess is something to do with the PAS cylinder maybe locking the rack because of the increased pressure build up inside the cylinder due to the friction while spinning from one to another side fast and for a longer time period than usual as it is in road use .

However , apart from race use , this car is also his daily drive so he wants to retain PAS system as it is .

Anyone knows what really causes this problem ? and is there any kind of modification which can be done to eliminate this while retaining PAS system ? (if the PAS system/components after all are the ones to blame for this binding/locking)

Thanks ! :)

D

ORB

Corsa/Punto epas column could be an option?

DamirGTI

Yup , plans for the future will be fitting electric system from one of them cars you've mentioned :)

But till then (need to sort some funds to do the conversion) , we where wondering if theres some that can be done to the OE rack to eliminate this issue .

Flushing the rack and filling with fresh fluid made no difference at all , it still binds/locks .

D

Edited by DamirGTI

ORB

Sounds like a shagged Ram.

Does it leak any fluid? even a weep?

DamirGTI

Dunno to be honest :blush: , need to ask him .. but i believe that he would've told me if he spotted any leakage .

D

stef205

My old saxo vts did this, turned out to be the motor/pump swapped it for a second hand unit and fixed the problem.

welshpug

pump and relay failures are very common, would be my first port of call given how accessible they are, and how inaccessible the rest is!

DamirGTI

Righto , we'll check/replace said components .

Cheers lads :)

D