• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jacob_williams

Peugeot 205 Dturbo Revving Up By Itself

jacob_williams

hi my Dturbo 205 has just started to revving up by itself, it drives fine, but as soon as it as you pull up to stop it will rev up by itself and pour out white/blue smoke also when it does this, it will take 2/3 seconds to turn off. i have been told it could be the turbo, but have been checking the engine oil every morning it and it doesn't seem to be getting through any oil. I have noticed that there is quite a few small air bubble in the fuel line, not sure if this is normal? any help would be much appriciated cheers Jacob

TooMany2cvs

Because diesels are controlled by restricting fuel rather than air, it's gotta be either fuel or oil getting in.

It may just be a leaky injector. I'd investigate sooner rather than later - if it is the turbo seals, then one day it may well just carry on running away. Since the "fuel" is then uncontrolled, even taking the key out won't stop it. Nothing will, until it runs out of "fuel"... Which, of course, it'll do at full revs. And since that "fuel" is the sump contents...

AIUI, standard main dealer procedure to deal with one is just to evacuate the workshop and wait for it to go bang.

jackherer

If it's running on its own oil via the turbo stop running it at all until it is fixed, do a search on youtube or somewhere for runaway diesel to see why.

welshpug

indeed, it could be quite catastrophic.

however it could also be an air leak, my brothers old 306dturbo would rev up a little when running very low on fuel (i.e on the verge of cutting out)

jackherer

Would an air leak "pour out white/blue smoke"?

welshpug

I'm not sure, depends on the definition of "pour out".

TooMany2cvs

It's the "take 2 or 3 seconds to turn off" that's scaring me...

Paul_13

Sounds like the turbo seals are about to go. It'll really go and runaway, then you're screwed

Pop the intake hose off and check if there is excess amounts of oil

Edited by Paul_13

jacob_williams

The car has been sitting off the road for 3 years until last week so there is a good chance the seals on the turbo have gone. Have been thinking about putting the the 1.9 td engine from a 306 in it so i will probably do that if i can find an engine. Also there is a 2.1 td engine but can't seem to find much info on that.

TooMany2cvs

Also there is a 2.1 td engine but can't seem to find much info on that.

12v. Most of 'em will be out of XMs. A few late Xants & 406s, and the odd 605, too.

jacob_williams

Can't seem to find that many people who have put that engine in a 205, is it a simple swap.

Edited by jacob_williams

welshpug

relatively, but its a hefty lump and there are clearance issues.

ORB

We used to get Saab 9-3 180's regularly running on the sump oil. I blew one up on the M6 that was only days old

jacob_williams

Im am trying not to use the car any more started losing power now, if it wouldn't stop could you not just stall it?

ORB

You can fight it with the brakes. But sometimes it's not that easy

jacob_williams

Will have to phone up a few scrapyards tommorow and see how much i can get an engine for. thanks for all the help

Edited by jacob_williams