• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
rallyeash

[Track_Prep] 205 Gti-6 Track Car Build

allanallen

That's a pisser :( what's the story with the engine then? Did you buy it in bits and it hadn't run before?

allanallen

Too high compression?

Is there an echo in here?? :P

Jolly Green Monster

Lol.

The tuner mentioned gets lots of good feed back on here so I am sure what has been said is where its at.

However having played with various compression ratios on engines assume theres no valve to piston clearance then it would need to be v v high to cause an issue?

Got one engine with v high compression for a turbo setup - around 12:1 if I recall correct.

Makes normal power on pump fuel with very little ignition advance and on race fuel the power jumps dramatically doing another 110bhp at same boost. Topping out at 550bhp.

This being NA I would assume a v low ignition advance would see great post and throttle response.

Edited by Jolly Green Monster

allanallen

I think sandy runs relatively low comp ratios on his engines. In this instance though I'd imagine a very high CR and incorrectly specced cams (for the CR) will make it run like a pig.

Jolly Green Monster

Easy to say sat here but cant see how

allanallen

Maybe it's a Diesel engine with throttle bodies bolted on?? :P

rallyeash

Yep. I haven't spoken to sandy about his views on it or I don't know actually how much to high we are talking.

welshpug

MadProfessor had much the same issue, pistons incorrectly made, far too high a compression ratio, would have been ok on rocket fuel!

rallyeash

Will have Nick Owens old piper cammed gti6 engine in our hands shortly. This will be fitted and mapped until such time the higher spec engine has the correct compression then the cammed engine can be sold on.

Tonight's plan is after work ill meet up with Craig, tow the 205 back to my work and pull the engine out as quick as possible, swap all the bits over inc the PTS sump and get it fitted with the intention of if it runs well enough prior to mapping for Craig to drive it home weather it's 12pm or 3am we finish. This will then put 45 miles on the clock before it heading down to Cornwall Wednesday/Thursday and a

Oulton park trackday on Friday!

As you can probably tell we're not a bunch of quitters...!

• Like 1

Anthony

Fair play to you both Ash for refusing to throw the towel in - hopefully it'll be straight forward from here and you'll make the trackday as reward for the long hours :)

Shouldn't be too difficult hopefully being effectively just a straight engine swap without too many bits to faff around with, so with enough will and sufficient pizza and caffeine on hand you'll get it done I'm sure. At least you know that this engine is a known quantity and shouldn't give you any unwelcome surprises.

Be interesting to see what the CR is on that other engine as one assumes that it was far higher than it should have been if Sandy refused to continue mapping - from what I remember, Mad Scientist's was something like 14.5:1 due to the piston spec mix-up!

rallyeash

3.15 and just packed up. Bar the throttle cable the car is done.

rallyeash

right then....

last nights progress.
We got the car back at the workshop about 7pm, and pretty quickly, by 9pm had the engine out and on the deck....
enginecomingoutagain_zps735ca4e6.jpg

engineonfloor_zps9009ee57.jpg

which then needed a fair few bits swapping over.
PTS baffle sump and PTS converted oil pump, flywheel, clutch, coil pack, various other bits of pipework/fittings/pipework then the gearbox fitted, new driveshaft seals etc.
this was around 12pm last night.

sumpoff_zpse1669bbf.jpg
back on its mounts

backin_zpsd0c2d5b8.jpg

we cracked on and got everything fitted back on, exhaust mani, throttle bodies, coolant pipework, wiring, driveshafts etc etc. Before we knew it it was 3am and we thought better pack up and go home to bed. was just after 4am this morning I walked through the door and back to work this morning!

rallyeash

how it looks this morning.

cammedenginefitted_zps172ffc3d.jpg
as you can see its pretty much done, just a few little finishing items. the oil catch tank will be sorted but to get it running for oulton it'll be a drinks bottle...

Jolly Green Monster

you might need to cut a hole in the side of the bottle so the fumes can escape else the engine cant breath.

rallyeash

there is actually a fair bit of room around the bottle neck, just doesn't look like it in the picture.

Seeing as you do a lot of Jap cars, you don't have a IHI VF22 Impreza turbo kicking about do you?

rallyeash

rollers are booked for Thursday morning at 10am. a healthy 200hp would be great. perfect for a handful of winter trackdays...

Jolly Green Monster

there is actually a fair bit of room around the bottle neck, just doesn't look like it in the picture.

Seeing as you do a lot of Jap cars, you don't have a IHI VF22 Impreza turbo kicking about do you?

okay appologise it just didnt look that way.

I dont but I will keep am eye on subaru forums.

Why are you specifically after a vf22? its getting on a bit now and you might be far better off with a stronger newer turbo like a vf34 or vf35 for example, any similar cost.

I need to stop thinking about adding a built engine and turbo and ecu etc to my 205.

Simon

Jolly Green Monster

trying not to go too far off topic but this looks to be a sensible point and place to ask.

Your gti6 engine is on a dizzy, mine isnt.. whats the origins of both or have you converted to dizzy to run what an s40??

Thanks

Simon

rallyeash

no that's a single coilpack from a 106 8V. The DTA can't use the original gti6 direct to head coilpack so it gets converted to coilpack/leads

well its on my Impreza Type R. It has a VF22 fitted and I removed it due to lack of boost and rattle. the bearings have all broken up and the vanes have been rubbing on the outer.

The car is up for sale and ive got someone who wants to buy it. so I just want a standard replacement that will bolt on and be good to go. If I was to keep it i'd probably go for a higher spec.