• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
rallyeash

[Track_Prep] 205 Gti-6 Track Car Build

rallyeash

Mapped and road mapped!

Trek upto Oulton. I'll be catching up with him about midnight when we land at the Travelodge.

kyepan

Any numbers from the rollers?

rallyeash

Haven't heard yet.

stuart

Glad you managed to get it sorted in the end, hope all the effort pays off! Just filled up with v-power and took it to the polish carwash,job done. Sorry :lol:

Jolly Green Monster

Awesome. Hope he enjoys Oulton

allye

Jesus you boys have had some s*it luck! Hope the weekend goes smooth and makes up for it.

Jolly Green Monster

What he ^^^ said and thumbs up to sandy for all his help/effort to get it there

Sandy

It was another epic! Craig had a near catastrophic trailer failure shortly after leaving, but luckily he has friends in perfect places and after getting recovered, got the repairs done super pronto and got down to me at 12. Considering what happened, that's amazing! As he tried to start the car, it was clear it was down to two cylinders, so we pushed it in to investigate. I immediately knew ignition driver failure was likely, it's common on the older "E48" boxes (and more problematic injector driver failures) and why I don't use them anymore, usually a tired driver stage aggravated by a voltage spike. A few tests confirmed no igntion on 1 and 4 coil, another coilpack gave the same result.

It was very frustrating, but I knew I had another E48 at home we could try, so we headed straight off and were by about 2:15 with the other box and a suppressor capacitor to add the the coilpack plug to help damp any spikes that might occur.

I had taken the flywheel and CPS lead angle as known previously, but the advance angle concerns previously prompted me to check it from the start this time, some my TDC finder gauge went in and an accurate flywheel mark made. The plug that came out was very wet, so I cleaned it.

Uploaded the map to the ECU and it started immediately on three, slightly worrying, but I knew straight away it was the remaining dirty plug that wasn't going; so for the sake of timewasting we stuck a new set of plugs in. It started immediately then and ran smoothly, so we got it all strapped in and piped up to start mapping. The lead angle proved to be only 0.5 degrees out, confirming my previous estimate. From there it was easy basically, as it should be with this sort of engine! The fuel map was working out very smooth and each line predicted the next well. The ignition was working out very much as I'd expect and was easy to dial in and didn't feel at all edgy, whatever I did with it... that's how an atmo engine should be!!

It finished very crisp and clean and we went up the road after so I could check and trim the real world fuelling, rolling road environments are never quite the same as road conditions and if there's the opportunity to do that it's worth taking it. Also a chance to see if the driver finds any quirks of the map my driving style doesn't! It did feel strong I have to say. The tyres didn't grip too well at the top end in the rollers and quote me happy graphs aren't my business, so I'm not giving figures for it. Suffice to say it drives immaculately everywhere (full throttle from 1200rpm is clean and immediate for example), today Craig will get a true handle on it, all being well :)

• Like 1