• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Daviewonder

V6 Coupe, Clutch Bleeding.

Daviewonder

Sorry for the non 205 question chaps.

I have a V6 coupe on an R reg that has the sealed clutch slave and master system. Over the past year the clutch pedal has been getting worse and worse. I have to pump the pedal quite a few times to get it in gear most of the time and the car tries to creep forward with the clutch fully down, it's especially worse on cold days.

I've had a look at diagrams of both the early and late systems and none of the parts are interchangeable as far as I can tell.

Has anyone found a way or knows of a way to modify the system to enable it to be bled?

I've considered adding a reservoir in place of the sealed fluid pot and drilling a small hole and tapping a screw in the back of the slave cylinder to to allow it to be bleed.

The system is no longer available from Peugeot and when it was it was nigh on £400. Anyone have any ideas as I don't fancy a second hand one. I don't want the Coupe to end up on the scrap heap because of this.

Thanks, Dave (What were Peugeot thinking when they designed this?)

allye

The later slave cyclinder fits in the gearbox fine, however the fitting on the hose is differrent so you'd need to replace the hose as well. You can take the entire system off and sort of gravity bleed over a day or back feed it?

• Like 1

welshpug

if possible, fit the D9 arrangement, that is all separate parts and can be bled, I know the box end is the same, but unsure of the pedal end.

Daviewonder

You can take the entire system off and sort of gravity bleed over a day or back feed it?

Sounds interesting. Please explain in more detail :)

Daviewonder

if possible, fit the D9 arrangement, that is all separate parts and can be bled, I know the box end is the same, but unsure of the pedal end.

From having a look on service box everything is different, even the pedal box :(

welshpug

ask Goliath, I'm sure he has the D9 stuff on his D8 engine as a friend of ours broke a D9 recently.

Daviewonder

I'll ask him if I don't get any joy with the above suggestion. Didn't know he still came on here?

allye

Goliath has a custom peddle box though with a D9 master cylinder and slave, so hose fitting is not a issue. You could get the D9 fitting brazed onto the D8 hose, this is basically what I did with the stupid cable/hydraulic set up going on.

Goliath

In my experience trying to gravity bleed the D8 system is utterly hopeless, I spent hours trying and made no progress. Also once you have removed the D8 system it is extremely difficult to get it back on as you have to depress the clutch a bit to put the slave cylinder back in, which is quite hard when there is no clutch system to depress!

The D8 and D9 master cylinder are different, the slave cylinders are slightly different but you can put a D9 slave cylinder in place of your D8 one. (the only difference I could see on the D9 gearbox was it has an inspection panel so you could see if the rod was properly home in the clutch arm, but it's pretty easy to tell.)

I would suggest you put a D9 slave cylinder in and then cut the D8 pipe and get some fittings to connect it to the D9 pipe/slave cylinder. I don't know how hard/viable this will be though as I haven't cut one of these pipes before so am not sure what they are made of or what size they are.

Alternatively if you are going to cut the pipe then you could just leave the D8 stuff in there and fit a bleed nipple in the cut bit of pipe.

P.s. The sealed fluid reservoir can be opened and topped up.

p.p.s The D9's don't have a fluid reservoir and just run the feed pipe up to the brake fluid reservoir, this is how I have it on my 205.