• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ASBGTi

Rev Counter Converter Help

ASBGTi

Hi everyone,

My S16 205 tidy up is coming along nicely. I have however hit a wall with the rev counter, the weakest part of my mechanical know how is electrics. I have purchased the converter from Spoox which has very basic instructions with it, I need the guide for someone who hasn't got a clue!!

I've searched the forum and have found nothing that I can get to grips with, so this is what I need help with.......

Does this fit behind the clocks?

There are 4 wires, 2 are obvious (live and earth)

The other 2 are one which connects to the ECU and the other to the rev counter itself. This is where I'm struggling..... I would be really great full if someone could explain where I connect these 2 wires, pictures would be even better!!

Thank you very much

ASB

welshpug

Stick up a pic of the instructions, but it is that simple, you dont touch the dash, rev counter us wire 112 which is in the brown plugs, i stick the module next to the ecu as all the wires are there

ASBGTi

Stick up a pic of the instructions, but it is that simple, you dont touch the dash, rev counter us wire 112 which is in the brown plugs, i stick the module next to the ecu as all the wires are there

WP: instructions here's, along with 2 'brown' plugs I can see:

post-23950-0-30779500-1382282042_thumb.jpg

post-23950-0-80002900-1382282073_thumb.jpg

post-23950-0-63333900-1382282107_thumb.jpg

Cheers for you help

marksorrento205

Green wire to the wire that comes from the ecu (that should go to the rev counter)

Red to a 12v+ source

Black to earth

Blue / yellow to the wire that goes into the rev counter (or the wire 112 as wp said)

As it says on the instructions really :lol:

You need to find the wire from the ecu and wire 112 in the brown plug.

Edited by marksorrento205

welshpug

second plug is black :lol: the two brown plugs by the steering column I meant.

I can't see the problem with the instructions?

Find wire 112 at the brown plugs and trace it through to the engine loom and find where it goes, then find the tacho output at the ecu plug, find a suitable 12v switched live, and an earth.

ASBGTi

Ok great, thanks guys. Sorry if I'm being a bit thick!

Any idea what colour the wire is that goes from ECU to rev counter?

welshpug

dont go by colours, go by wire number and ecu plug pin number.

ASBGTi

Ok cool, know which one it is?

jackherer

What year is your 205?

ASBGTi

ORB

On mine it is Grey, on the smaller of the two brown plugs, labeled 112b

jackherer

OK, keep looking for the brown multiplugs then, I only asked as earlier cars (pre 1987 or so) don't have them.

ASBGTi

Ok thanks everyone for you help!

ORB

They are under the dash near the steering column.

Slo

Doesn't wire 112b go from the tacho to the coil? Lot easier to locate it on the coil

ASBGTi

Thanks again.

I need to locate the ECU to tachometer wire.

welshpug

Doesn't wire 112b go from the tacho to the coil? Lot easier to locate it on the coil

on Jetronic maybe, nut not on an S16 on Motronic, with 4 coils, and two ignition amps, and no dizzy.

ASBGTi

Morning all,

Sidelined this job for a while as a had bigger fish to fry with a leaky sump gasket!!

I've done loads of research and I am lead to believe that the ECU tacho wire is at pin 12. Can anyone confirm this for me? As Welshpug says mine is an S16 motronic so no dizzy.

Thanks again

Anthony

If you're using a tacho converter, you ignore the tacho wire on the ECU.

You only use the tacho pin on the ECU if you're adapting the 205 rev counter to work with the feed from the S16 ECU. That's the correct way to do it in my opinion, but its more daunting if you're not confident with a soldering iron and vehicle electrics, and hence most people go down the tacho converter route.

What the tacho adapter does is to take a feed from each of the four S16 coils to drive the original 205 rev counter that needs to see a signal from a coil. I've not seen the Spoox one, but normally (and certainly with the ones that I've built) you have six wires - an earth, four wires that connect to the negative side of each coil, and one that connects to the original 205 rev counter wire.

The original 205 rev counter wire is normally a grey wire number 112 that should be on pin 4 the smaller (6 pin) of the two underdash multiplugs

Miles

The spox one from memory just connect's to the ECU fed Rev counter feed so dead easy to swap around, No soldering is needed here

Anthony

Ah fair enough, that being the case ignore what I said above as I assumed that it was one of the usual generic diode based ones that most people use.

ASBGTi

Ok guys,

Thanks for your inputs. I still, need to know what ECU wire i need to connect it to. I have found wire 112 for the 205 tacho and the live and earth is easy peasy.

I saw a post that indicated that it was pin 12 on the ECU. If anyone could clarify I would be really great full.

Cheers

welshpug

ignore the RFS at the top of the diagram, that's wrong, it is for the RFY engine.

looks like pin 43, NOT 12.

Fz1qC.jpg

ASBGTi

Looks like your correct!! Thank you for that..