• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MrMemzi

Broken Stud Exhaust Mani :(

MrMemzi

Hi all. Tried to extract the broken stud out of the head to no avail. Has anyone else got any better suggestions as the little extractor tool moved it about 1/2" and no more. Thanks

ORB

If it went 1/2 inch you should get it out. You could run two nuts onto the stud and wind it out from the inside one if grip is an issue?

omega

wind it back in and out a few times with some plus gas.

MrMemzi

Tried winding it in and out but theres literally no grip. So id have to take the head off then to get it from the inside. Didn't really want to do that

welshpug

what do you mean from the inside?!

MrMemzi

Thought you could get it from the inside from what ORB said? I don't really know myself never taken an engine apart

ORB

Put two nuts on the exposed thread of the stud, and try to wind it out using a ring spanner on the nut nearest the head.

MrMemzi

There is no thread. Its inside the head :(

ORB

Take a photo. Post it up!

roccorich

What kind of extractor did you try?

MrMemzi

Them little backwards drill bit looking things!

roccorich

Its really important you drill the hole using the size of drill bit specified and also the hole needs to be deep enough that the extractor does not bottom out at any point or it wont work. Tap it in with a hamner to seat it and you need to use them in a tap wrench so you can apply pressure at the same time, unless its one of those stubby snapon ones where your meant to tap them with a hammer as you wind them out.

Edited by roccorich

Mac Crash

exhaust manifold still bolted on? or off?

if the latter then there are few options apart from extractor or drilling out...

if manifold is on then remove it and use two nuts as already mentioned above.

I snapped the original top stud nearest the n/s inner wing when bolting up a new manifold... I knew I should have used new studs.

had just fitted new exhaust system at the time and just didn't have the time that night to take it all off again or a spare stud for that matter....

it's still not leaking so the other studs are obviously doing enough to keep the mating faces tight... did use genuine Peugeot gaskets though...

roccorich

The other kind you can get (Rigid Screw Extractors) are ones which require you to drill all the way through, which I assume isnt an option here unless somone knows differently.

Otherwise I did see a thread on here where somobe specified the the size of drill bit you can use to drill dead centre and pick the bits left in the thread out.

Last resort is drill it all out and either put a bigger thread and a stepped stud or helicoil it.

farmer

exhaust manifold still bolted on? or off?

if the latter then there are few options apart from extractor or drilling out...

if manifold is on then remove it and use two nuts as already mentioned above.

I snapped the original top stud nearest the n/s inner wing when bolting up a new manifold... I knew I should have used new studs.

had just fitted new exhaust system at the time and just didn't have the time that night to take it all off again or a spare stud for that matter....

it's still not leaking so the other studs are obviously doing enough to keep the mating faces tight... did use genuine Peugeot gaskets though...

Can't believe you never got new studs when at the dealer for the gaskets ! Doh !

roccorich

The stealers charge a tenner for them that probably why.

farmer

An extra tenner or a snapped stud, I know what I would choose.

MrMemzi

Right. Thanks all. Ill try again tonight. Nights get darker too quick now :( someone previously tried to remove the manifold and snapped the bolt clean off. Theres no threads hanging out sadly. The manifold is completely off. They all come out fine with heat. Bar the one that was already in the head. I think I need patience.

MrMemzi

FINALLY MANAGED TO GET IT AHHHT. Basically with patience. Slight tapping loads of lubing and heating. Out it twisted. Managed to get the dodgy draper extractor tool in place and slowly turned it out.

Thank you all again for the advice!

roccorich

But if its gonna snap when your putting it back together then why would not snap when you try and remove the stud?

Mac Crash

FINALLY MANAGED TO GET IT AHHHT. Basically with patience. Slight tapping loads of lubing and heating. Out it twisted. Managed to get the dodgy draper extractor tool in place and slowly turned it out.

Thank you all again for the advice!

Well done!

Can't believe you never got new studs when at the dealer for the gaskets ! Doh !

Yip, that's what I said too at the time but you live and learn eh? it's okay, head's coming off soon anyway and will replace the originals with some decent replacements.