• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dylan l

Tran X And Be 4 Troubles

Dylan l

Last week I took the car out for a spin and after parking it up no problems. A couple of hours later noticed a pool of gearbox oil had escaped. I have taken the gearbox out and found a hole in the diff housing.

We have looked at all of the gearbox and it seems there is nothing missing, but something has broken and ended up in the final drive and punching it's way out of the gearbox.

Is there any thing in the tran x lsd to break up? as I am yet to send it back.

Tom Fenton

The Tranx planet wheels can break, as I've broken some.

If I were you I'd strip the diff to see what's what. Tranx as such are no more now in any case, but when I sent mine back they tried to charge me £40+VAT to strip it even though I sent it already in bits.

Dylan l

robbing bar stewards

will look in the diff tomorrow.

Tran x website show they have moved from but do still do a service, but it does say Tran x powered by Quaife.

Edited by Dylan l

allanallen

Do '3j driveline' do the old tran-x stuff now then? I'm guessing miles can enlighten us.

As Tom says get it stripped to rule it out, it's a fairly simple task stripping and rebuilding them.

Rippthrough

Quaiffe do the Tran-x parts, 3J is the new company from the MD at tran-X

Miles

I heard that it was 6 to 8 weeks for a plate set the other day from someone so it could be a while, I doubt 3j would service (Never know what the contract was) them but its worth asking.

One reason why I changed my Diff over as I don't like dealing with Quaife

Tom Fenton

Either way, don't let them rip you off for £52+VAT (TranX website) to strip and rebuild an LSD. It is 8 bolts to get it in bits!

Dylan l

Had a look at the diff today and there are only 7 13mm bolt heads and 8 holes and we found the bolt head.

It does seem that the diff is still scrap as a lot of the threaded holes are munched.

allanallen

Had a look at the diff today and there are only 7 13mm bolt heads and 8 holes and we found the bolt head.

It does seem that the diff is still scrap as a lot of the threaded holes are munched.

Get some pictures up, I'm sure it can be repaired. Or I'll give you a fiver for it ;)

Tom Fenton

I'll bid £10 and a bag of sweets!

As Allan says it should be repairable. Either clock the cover round and drill/tap 8 new holes, or drill and helicoil the holes that are there.

• Like 1

Crescent205

i had the same last week as i was getting the car ready for a rally i noticed a hole in the diff casing, Turns out that a bolt from the diff (not the crown wheel) had come out and worn a hole. simply got a new bolt and locktite them all in. obviously replacing the cover.