• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dave205

Turbo's

dave205

Im contemplating another little project, well an extension of a project really.

What cars have a turbo the same as or are fitted with a garrett gt25/40r?

Im the same as most people who do engine concersions/ projects i dont have a bottomless pit of money, so will be doing the work myself and using second hand parts. Mainly a second hand turbo, what are the things to look for? And how big of a unit will i need for a 3 litre engine capacity?

Slo

Good luck with this, its a lot of work with some fabrication needed. It took me 6 months to do mine (due to starting it in january - freezing cold and work commitments) alone with some very helpful information from guys on here. You can get a garrett t25 turbo rebuild kit for £50 on ebay and its easy enough to fit yourself and will save any disappointment later on.

Cars that i know of that have this engine include 406,605 (phase 2, i had the last phase 1), citroen xm, fiat ullysee, citroen synergie and probably a lot more too.

wicked

The t25 turbo found on the 406, 605's etc is a totally different turbo than the gt25/40r (=gt2876r).

GT2540R-225225.jpg​

I don't think you'll find any OEM car to have turbo like this one, since it's a strange kind of turbo, due to it's small turbine in combination with a huge compressor.

This is only suited for small engines running massive boost....

OEM's will choose more balanced setups wrt compressor size vs turbine size.

Some background and maps on turbo selection:

http://www.stealth316.com/2-turboguide.htm

http://www.lovehorsepower.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4&Itemid=48

It comes down to choosing the desired bhp, calculating the required flow, calculating the required pressure to make the flow and look for a turbo (map) that can make it...

welshpug

you need to know a bit more than just engine capacity, how much you want to rev it is a very big consideration.

dave205

Yeah i know :/, im a pipefitter by trade so not reallycworried about the pipework side of stuff. Hope its do able though!

There must be loads of other cars with that tirbo fitted? Im looking on ebay at a reconditioned citroen xm 2.1td turbo for £230 which i thing is reasonable considering its been refurbed.

What do you think?

dave205

you need to know a bit more than just engine capacity, how much you want to rev it is a very big consideration.

Surely thats governed by the ecu anyway? Or if its aftermarket by what you set it to?

wicked

Yeah i know :/, im a pipefitter by trade so not reallycworried about the pipework side of stuff. Hope its do able though!

There must be loads of other cars with that tirbo fitted? Im looking on ebay at a reconditioned citroen xm 2.1td turbo for £230 which i thing is reasonable considering its been refurbed.

What do you think?

That's way too small for a 3.0 (petrol?) engine... Diesels don't rev as much as petrol engines and therefore need far less air flow (= smaller turbo).

If you make a twin turbo, it might work...

Be aware that some diesel turbo's (VNT's) cannot cope (long) with the higher exhaust temperature of a petrol engine.

Edited by wicked

dave205

What size would you go for on a 3 litre v6 engine then?

Slo

Read your question wrong, thought you were going to do a simple transplant. So you want to turbo a v6? This is the garrett tb25 fitted to the xu10j2te engines...

IMG_20131008_125717_zpsc19d0152.jpg

johniban

Give owen delopments a ring or email tell them what engine you have and what your going to be using it for and they will tell you the turbo you need probly something like a gt28rs

dave205

Yeah i plan to turbo a v6, but lnow what to use.

I have one of those on a turbo engine i have in the shed so might take it off and have a look at it.

Would a td04 of an impreza be any good? Some of those scoobs run daft power :)

welshpug

I know the VQ38DETT runs TWO similar turbo's to one STI :lol:

wicked

Have you read this? It's all about selecting a turbo for a 2.9 V6....

td04 might be a bit small, unless you take 2, but depends on how much boost/power you want to make with the v6... 300bhp (1 big td05) is a different ballpark than 500bhp (2x td04)...

carlh.1

I have a td05 16g off a scooby, on a 2.1 gti 6 engine I'm finding that's a bit too small as it's blowing the watergate open early because the turbine side is on the small side. If you could get your hands on a td05 8cm 18 or 20g that could work

dave205

Have you read this? It's all about selecting a turbo for a 2.9 V6....

td04 might be a bit small, unless you take 2, but depends on how much boost/power you want to make with the v6... 300bhp (1 big td05) is a different ballpark than 500bhp (2x td04)...

Just read it, jeez theres some info there! Took me over half hour...still dont fully understand some aspects of it either!

With regards to power i'd like to make 300hp, or as near to it as i can.

wicked

On a V6 I would opt for a twin turbo (td04-small/t25) if you have enough space for 2 turbo's; otherwise a twin scroll td05hr-16g6 of an Evo IV or higher or td05-18g/20g.

But that's my opinion; do some research to build your own opinion.....

I have a td05 16g off a scooby, on a 2.1 gti 6 engine I'm finding that's a bit too small as it's blowing the watergate open early because the turbine side is on the small side. If you could get your hands on a td05 8cm 18 or 20g that could work

Maybe you have to replace the wastegate actuator by an aftermarket one with a stronger spring/higher pressure level.

Edited by wicked

welshpug

there is barely space to fit the engine, let alone Two turbo's :lol:

dave205

there is barely space to fit the engine, let alone Two turbo's :lol:

Yeah its pretty tight!! :)

dave205

These seem very cheap?

Ebay item no: 181140355076

Edited by dave205

Slo

iconNeg_16x16.gif Piece of junk! Garbage! New turbo with bended shaft?!?! Don't waste your money. Buyer:

19-Feb-13 07:15 iconFdbkCnvrsB_20x20.gif iconNeg_16x16.gif Turbo failed and destroyed engine-China part- beware Buyer:

14-Dec-12 08:57 iconFdbkCnvrsB_20x20.gif

Read the feedback, it may be old but chinese crap is cheap for a reason mate. Saying that though is it cheap enough to replace twice versus the cost of one that will last a lot longer?

Also it doesn't look any bigger than the one i posted further up

Edited by Slo

dave205

I'll avoid those then!

Think i'll just end up buying a second td05 impreza one

dave205

Ive been loling at some td05hr turbos from a mitsy evo. Ive found one on ebay 281158541493, i think it would be a good one to use because of the outlets etc. im just curious to know can the turbine housing be rotated on the compressor housing?

carlh.1

I twisted both turbine and compressor housings on mine to make them fit, there's just a metal lug you need to grind off on the compressor housing to make it turn, and modify the actuator bracket to re fit

wicked

Don't need to grind.it; you can pull it out....

sonofsam

Twisting housings around is known as 'Clocking' there are some very helpfull vids on youtube I found, be prepared for a bit of a fight though and have the plus-gas and rubber/nylon mallet at the ready if its an old unit as it will take some stick to first move it.

I will be using a Garrett T25 on my Mazda from a Nissan 180/200sx, seem plentifull so therefor cheap as I picked mine up fully rebuilt for about £80. Have had to clock it,

Good luck with build sounds like a monster in the making :D