• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
amusingadam

Starter Motor

amusingadam

So changed the clutch Sunday seems I have over looked something possibly. My issue is that the starter is blowing sparks out the bottom car runs fine starts fine but as soon as you jerk the engine ie give it the beans the starter seems like it spinning full up, clearly I have a wiring fault but I can't see anything loose I have also changed the starter to eliminate that where to go from here anything simple I could of over looked ????? thanks guys

acox99

Sounds like the solenoid or starter is staying engaged. Is the starter still whiring when the engine has started?

amusingadam

If you start the car you have no issues but when you put it under heavy load it spins itself up

Vili

Starter solenoid wire is touching starters live +12 V wire. Check if either one them is loose at the back of the starter.

edit: At least that is the only thing I can come up with.

Edited by Vili

ORB

Ignition barrel sticking?

amusingadam

Nope ignition barrel working a treat now it seems to only do it when you select reverse ??????

amusingadam

Update disconnected the reversing light switch and its fine Erm no idea I'm guessing a back feed somehow

jackherer

The starter and the reversing light feed both go through a brown multiplug above the gearbox so the wires do run alongside each other, I'd be looking for some wires caught between something that's crushed them together or maybe the loom has dropped onto the exhaust manifold and melted the insulation away...?

welshpug

the reverse light is on an ignition switched so one of the two wires to the switch will be live.

amusingadam

upon looking around my rev counter has dropped off it doing nothing do they also run through the brown plug as well thanks for the info i'm taking the box out again and going to work through it all over again i'm convinced its something i have done but i'm always so careful

Anthony

Rev counter doesn't run through the underbonnet brown plug, no - just dash sensors/lights, starter, and reverse light wiring.

amusingadam

any ideas why the rev counter would just stop seems odd i was poking around there then nothing ?????

jackherer

There is a fuse for the rev counter that is worth checking. If it's blown you should definitely be looking for damaged wiring.

Anthony

The wiring for the rev counter feed does run near the gearbox on earlier cars (with a wing mounted wet coil) so it's possible you've crimped the wire when refitting the gearbox or similar.

Of course, it's a 205, and thus random faults occuring can sometimes be attributed to nothing other than voodoo :lol:

acox99

Have you plugged the sad plug into the reverse light switch and and reverse light switch into sad. Iv seen the same symptom where these were round the wrong way.

amusingadam

no everything has gone back where it should 100% had to take the box out due to a faulty clutch now got to take the gearbox out due to the gearbox rattling its teeth off still could be worse ........... not sure how to end that :wacko:​

acox99

Reverse light switch plug should be white from memory. Was just a thought. Strange one this.

amusingadam

All thought are welcome only takes a second to check things appreciate the help guys

Anthony

If you have the ignition on but engine not running, does the starter engage if you put it in reverse?

Unplug the reverse switch - does the issue still occur?

Have you had a close look all around the gearbox for any pinched/damaged wiring?

amusingadam

Not yet I'm.removing a few bits soon so was going to have a full look been brought new wire new connector blocks from my local supplier also got a reverse cable just incase looks a little chewed up doubt it has anything to do with it but I'm prepared for the worse case only thing I havent found yet is a flywheel as unsure if the starter would of had a chew at it can't imagine they will be cheap and won't no until I move.the gearbox will def keep you all posted with anything I find. I like to think I'm fairly switched on so if its a mistake I have made most amateurs could do it also