• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
johnnyboy666

Identifying A Be4R Gearbox

johnnyboy666

It's been at least a few years since I've started a BE4R related conversation, so here goes.

I had one a few years ago, and got all the parts ready to fit it, and then needed cash and sold it all.

I remember going trawling through reams of info trying to figure out what gearbox is what and which parts of the gearbox codes mean what etc etc.

And now I cant remember anything and I want to finally get round to doing the conversion when I change my front suspension set up later in the year.

what I'm asking really is what code (stamped on the gearbox) equates to a BE gearbox that fits to a TU engine, with useable ratios?

I'm coming across things like 20DL69, 20DL67 and 20DM46 and my brain hurts

Can anybody help?

Thanks

John

sickomotorsport

I think it's a case of looking for a box with a diff that can be unbolted but has the place for the starter motor towards the rear? Maybe I'm wrong as I have never seen one.

johnnyboy666

cheers both, still not quite got a definitive answer though

welshpug

I think it's a case of looking for a box with a diff that can be unbolted but has the place for the starter motor towards the rear?

this, and a crank sensor window on the front above the clutch fork window next to the block, which the similar DV6 bellhousing doesn't have as the crank sensor is on the other end IIRC.

best bet is to just make sure it came off a TU5 engine, you can worry about internals at a later date.

Edited by welshpug

Alan_M

So what cars are these on?

According to that excel file above, no BE3R boxes were fitted to 106s (paxos). Can't see any for 306's either, so stuff like Picasso/Berlingo's?

I'm looking at doing this to the 306 (probably with the adjoining engine) as I've had enough of the clunky MA box now...It's on borrowed time!

welshpug

No BE3 was fitted to a TU engine from the factory, only a BE4.

In a 306 I would imagine it to be a VERY straightforward conversion given the berlingo/partner used them, which is the same bulkhead subframe and inner wings, driveshafts, hubs, wishbones and top mounts.