• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
daza2020

Duff Sensors ?

daza2020

Hi all just want to run some stuff by you all.

Currently got a 1.6 gti which runs however the coolant temperature gauge doesn't work, now I've found the plug under the dizzy gave it a clean and still nothing if I leave it unconnected the engine will not start so I'm thinking the sensor needs replacing, correct ???

I've also got a suspicion the oil temperature sensor has gone as the gauge refuses to move, this could also be the multi-plug from my research and/or the wire however I haven't had a chance to tear down to find the plug.

Slightly off topic my radiator fan kicks in at full power and will not go off I've given all the connectors in the loom a good clean still the same, the previous owner has replaced the radiator with what looks like a non oem item and the fan sensor, so I have no way of knowing if the sensor was oem or 3rd party I'm thinking replace that and the resistor to make sure as when I short any of the wires in the test plug it's still the same and won't switch to medium.

jackherer

If the connector you unplugged made the engine stop it has nothing to do with the dash gauges or lights. Chances are it was the blue two pin one which is the temp sensor for the ECU. There are two other sensors on the thermostat housing with single pin spade connectors, one is for the temp gauge and the other is for the temp warning light. If you unplug the wire and ground it the gauge will go to full deflection or the light will turn on so you can identify which is which that way.

daza2020

Forgive me for being silly but I can't for the life of me see and more connectors coming from the thermostat housing (under the dizzy I presume), you are correct it was the two wire blue plug which would make sense with the engine not starting when disconnected.

Anthony

There are two sensors, each with a single spade connector, on the rear of the thermostat housing - one is for the coolant temp gauge, the other the high coolant temp warning light

dobboy

Of these two sensors, there is a short one and a long one, which one is the gauge?

TIA

Anthony

Shorter one is the gauge, longer one is the warning light IIRC :)

dobboy

Anthony/anyone?, i forgot to ask.

I've been stripping the 8V out (for conversion), and as i'm a Ph1.5 i have my sensor/dash/indication wiring coming in N/S under expansion tank.

The two coolant related sensors are one wire, i've not got the 8V out yet to get a look at the back of it (and don't know what to expect) however when disconnecting the loom the nearest thing to the two sensors was a 3 pin plug that allowed removal of the loom from the block..... which i presume two of the wires serve the two coolant sensors.

When i shuggle the engine side of the plug/loom i can see movement further down below the two sensors (which may just be because tie wraps etc onto something else), or is there something else down there served by the third wire on this plug? (i cant remember if there was 2 or 3 wires on the engine side of the plug)

Hope that makes sense

TIA

welshpug

Oil temp in the rear of the sump.