• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Alfie

Sunroof Leaking And Seal Not Inflating?

Alfie

Hello all! Having done a roof repair carried out recently, I've now found that the sunroof is leaking rain water on the right hand front corner. It seems that the front O/S drain pipe might be the culprit? I've had to temporarily block at the top to prove this. How can I repair/replace it if it proves to be faulty? Also noticed that the sunroof seal isn't inflating. any ideas as to how I can fix these problems please?

Anthony

The sunroof seal doesn't "inflate" per-se - when you pull the handle it is exposed to vacuum which cause the seal to collapse and unseal the glass, and when the handle is back in the closed position, it is no longer exposed to vacuum and returns to its original state.

If it's staying collapsed then it can only really be the vacuum valve that's stuck open and at fault, but I've not personally heard of that happening before.

As for the leak, if the drain is blocked then you can just use something soft/blunt to push down and clear the blockage. It's worth checking that the sunroof drain hasn't rusted so badly that it's now leaking though, as I've seen this on a few cars now - you'll probably need to remove the headlining to check this properly. A repair can be fashioned from epoxy or similar if required

Alfie

Thanks Anthony. As for the seal, I've looked and seen there's a red rubber tube that leads out to the seal, there's a joint that a black rubber tube that joins it. Blowing into the red tube inflates the seal, that seems ok. The joint was a bit soft so I've cut a small amount off and re-joined it, still no joy! Where does the black tube lead to ? And as for the leak, I'm at a bit of a loss because even removing the inner trim on the post doesn't reveal the pipe that carries the water away ?? Where does it exit the car, inside the front wing void I guess??