• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest joe

Problem With Steering

Guest joe

dodnt know if this ashould be in the other relevant topic place but here goes.....

got a friend with a 1.6gti (like me and when he drives it the steering seams light and when he drive it above 50mph on a moto may the car pulls to the left when he comes off the gas and pulls to the right when he goes back on the gas. it all so seams to glide left and right even if he is on gas and going in a stright line and needs to just little corrections to keep in lane.

pls help us cos its doing his head in and i carnt think... maybe im just thick.lol

joe

Simes

Could be one of many things....this one I've experienced

Wishbone ball joints have worn, replace wishbones

Guest joe

wish bone??? do you meanthe bottom arms???

what else could it be?

jonah

Yet another case of knackered wishbone (=lower arm) bushes by the sound of it... Lost track of how many times this has been asked recently, and it always seems to be in almost-new wishbones from motor factors. I've had two fail, both were only a couple of months old. Seems to be a batch of poor quality bushes going into the pattern wishbones being sold by some motor factors.

Guest joe

right ive had it at the garage and they said they carnt find any movment anywhere so could it still be the lower arms or maybe somthing else????

Anthony

The problem you've got is normally used by knackered wishbone bushes or balljoint, as stated above.

If you're definately sure that the bushes and balljoint are good, then it's worth checking the condition of the socket on the hub where the wishbone ball joint connects to, and that the the nut and bolt are holding the socket firmly. I had that nut/bolt strip on my 205 which allows the hub (and therefore wheel) to move independantly to the wishbone.

I did have the effect that you mention to some degree, but it was much more noticeable when you turned into a corner, as the car would do all sorts to strange things mid-bend as well as tramline quite badly. Replacing that nut and bolt cured the problem on mine.

Also worth checking the track rod ends are in good condition (they should be quite tight to move, but feel smooth - same as the wishbone ball joint) as if they're worn to excess that might cause similar symptoms to what you're having, although I'd expect other handling quirks too (like extremely vague steering)

Only other thing to check is that the steering rack and subframe bolts are all tight - they shouldn't cause issues like you're having if they're loose, but it's something else that's easy to check and rule out.

Simes
and it always seems to be in almost-new wishbones from motor factors. I've had two fail, both were only a couple of months old. Seems to be a batch of poor quality bushes going into the pattern wishbones being sold by some motor factors.

I think you may find that it may actually be that when these lower arms are replaced and tightened up, the final tightening has been done with no load on the arms ..ie. in the air - this would cause the bushes to wear prematurely. :rolleyes:

Pugnut
I think you may find that it may actually be that when these lower arms are replaced and tightened up, the final tightening has been done with no load on the arms ..ie. in the air - this would cause the bushes to wear prematurely. :rolleyes:

i have had a replacement arm (Quintin Hazel) fail on me after very little miles . even with the bush bolts tightened with the car back on its wheels again .

but yes this would certainly lead to early failure.

Guest ADRIAN

The sympthoms Joe mentioned above could also be due to unballanced steering.

P.s.

If all of you say that the bushes are going very fast why don't you use poly bushes? :rolleyes:

Guest Bigj

Hi Adrian

There's an Old Adage

"If you don't know what you're talking about then keep yer trap shut"

God gave us two ears and one mouth

Listen and learn my friend.

Simes

Hi Adrian

There's an Old Adage

:rolleyes::P:P:D:D

ps. they are poly as standard.

Guest ADRIAN

Hi Adrian

There's an Old Adage

Bigj,

If the front wheels aren't facing exactly the same direction (aren't parallel),

the car will do exactly what he said above , the car will pull to one side on

braking and to the other when you throtell it ,

and it'll slide on cornering also!!!

Simes,

There are many qualities af polly products , and I gues that the one you got

(on the lower arms mentioned above) are crap.

If you want advises and help you can ask again I'm not angry at 'smartness'!! :rolleyes:

Edited by ADRIAN

Pugnut

what an asshole . now where's his bs meter ?

Adi

Another sign of the worn lower wishbone bushes will be the front end of the car wandering under hard braking.....and steering itself.

Wurzel

Jacking the car up and giving the suspension components a good tug (fnar fnarr) will not necessarily show up problems unless there is excessive wear.

The forces that the wishbone bushes and ball joints are under is huge during acceleration and braking.

All the symptoms you have point to the wishbones in some way, either worn bushes or bolloxed ball joint end.

Just one thing though. When on the motorway, does this occur on the inside lane more than the outside lane? Just wondered if the tramlines created by the trucks is effecting you. I know it did on my car when travelling on some motorways.

Guest ADRIAN
what an asshole . now where's his bs meter ?

grow up!!

Pugnut
grow up!!

you just couldn't help it could you .

oops click...

Guest ADRIAN

oops click...

iamwithstupid.gifpottytrain2.gif

Edited by ADRIAN

Guest Bigj
Bigj,

Hi again Adrian my friend

The front wheels aren't supposed to point in the same direction

There should be between 1 and 2.5 mm toe in plus or minus 0.5mm

Depending on model and year

Balancing of the wheels will only make the steering vibrate not the car to pull to one side.

As I said " Listen and Learn"

Edited by Bigj

Pugnut

oops click...

iamwithstupid.gifpottytrain2.gif

who did you say needed to grow up ?

Leet205

rofl!

Guest ADRIAN
Bigj,

Hi again Adrian my friend

The front wheels aren't supposed to point in the same direction

There should be between 1 and 2.5 mm toe in plus or minus 0.5mm

Depending on model and year

Balancing of the wheels will only make the steering vibrate not the car to pull to one side.

As I said " Listen and Learn"

It's a problem because I can't explain myself in english like you...

I'll try again,

the front wheels should be exactly at the same angle (same "camber"

and "caster") .

they should be like this ... / \.

If one of the wheels isn't positioned exactly as the other the car will....(writen above on this topic).

"Look and listen" , I didn't say that you are wrong , I said that there is another option...

base-1

why cant you be like the rest of us and try to learn from the people on here who clearly know more, and are kind enough to help out when we have problems, instead of just being a wanker?

id really like to know, cos your BS meter will just keep rising until i assume (and hope if you dont change your attitude) you are banned from the forum

Sign in to follow this