• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

NFS

Hi guys,

there has been a couple of threads about this but they were created wrongly so I will create this one about the problem in hand.

so the story so far, about 2 weeks ago, the 205 started fine, no problems, since then I fitted the rear and front bumpers and some trim in the interior, then I had a dead battery, fitted a recharged one, and no starty. The engine turns over and there is fuel, I checked the two double relays in the dash and they are clicking as they should (some else’s issue on another thread). so I take the first plug out and rest it on the block and no spark, issue found, so I tested the volts at the coil plug from the loom and they were all reading just under 12v when cranking.

I recently replaced the JPT plug on the coil as it was in a terrible state, it worked find after that for ages, and I planned on replacing the plug for the ignition amp as that was in poor condition as well, so I replaced the ignition amp with all new pins and plug. I turned it over and it fired into life, it was idling for about 15 seconds, and then it died, and won’t start again, NO SPARK AGAIN. Wiggled the plug around and still not starting, I was advised it might be the ignition amp so I put a wanted thread up (cheers for the reply’s) but I was too impatient and got one from Allparts, plugged this in and still won’t start.

Does anyone have any ideas I could try? Could it really be the coil pack after it started fine when I replaced the plug? really need some help, ive been restoring it for 10 months now and when i can finially get it on the road this happends.

welshpug

Check the Crank sensor.

haz911

x2 on Crank sensor

NFS

Thanks Welshpug, i did try finding the crank sensor but i cannot find it? looked on google and there is no good images of where it sits on the engine, im assuming somewhere near the crank pully, lol

and how would I go about checking it? without replacing it? and why did it start when i replaced the plug on the igniton module?

Slo

its just below the coilpack on top of the clutch housing

IMG_20121231_194605_zpsac4bf187.jpg

What kind of management is this lump using if its standard have you got this plug? It should come out the same branch where the ignition amp does

IMG_20130613_183755_zps61bf5c66.jpg

Just skipped through your build thread that dump valve bodge LOL

Edited by Slo

NFS

its just below the coilpack on top of the clutch housing

What kind of management is this lump using if its standard have you got this plug? It should come out the same branch where the ignition amp does

Just skipped through your build thread that dump valve bodge LOL

Stange never seen one there before, i take it its working with the flywheel?

yes standard managment, i cannot really remember, its it the 3 pin plug for the crank sensor? i think from the ignition amp loom there 1 plug that comes out of it and thats the idle control valve, have checked for anything else. what is it?

oh yeah lol some people!

Slo

Yes its a 3 pin connector for the crank sensor.

When i did my build I found this plug (in my picture) to be my problem (same symptom as yours) as it wasn't connected.

Wire 46 and 146 should go to permanent live, 46 for the coilpack, starter relay feed, and throttle heater.

146 goes to the ecu and before this was connected the double relay would tick like the indicator relay, it would turn over but not start.

Edited by Slo

NFS

i will check it, i have had it running for over 9 months when i start it to keep everything moving while im restoring it, its just recently its started to not spark

Slo

I'm not suggesting the plug if it has it is unplugged but maybe a fuse has gone or wire corroded or disconnected somewhere. What gives it away is the relay is ticking. Obviously it could be something entirely unrelated though :/

NFS

oh yeah cool, i checked the fuses in the dash and the little black box that has 4 at the front of the bay, where would the fuses be for the engine sensors>?

Slo

Its a custom build so might not even have any. The plug is just a live connector to make the engine plug and play originally and has probably been chopped off and wired up permanently with all the others. Without seeing it its impossible to say. If i disconnect wire 146 on mine it does exact same thing that yours is doing, ticking relay, turns over but no start.

Do you still have the keypad?

Edited by Slo

NFS

thanks i will check, i dont have a keypad, not sure if the engine had one orginally though,

Slo

your pictures aren't the clearest of the engine but it looks like the later type (406, xm, 605 phase 2) that has ecu lock with keypad

NFS

Ive never seen a keypad and never had a problem starting it before, i think its an XM engine RGX i think

haz911

Just to update this thread, I went up to the unit to meet 'NFS' up there so I could run my eyes over everything and got it started within about 30 seconds, simply plugged the battery and it started and has been driven since so no idea what was causing the problems about a month ago!

#IAmTheChief B):ph34r::lol:

Edited by haz911

NFS

Just to update this thread, I went up to the unit to meet 'NFS' up there so I could run my eyes over everything and got it started within about 30 seconds, simply plugged the battery and it started and has been driven since so no idea what was causing the problems about a month ago!

#IAmTheChief B):ph34r::lol:

what a bell end ^^^